bridged frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony b

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, new to this and learning loads.

I have a hive filled from a cast swarm I collected about a month ago now, the bees were very grumpy (compared to the other swarms I had collected) and after a week or so of not being able to see the queen, and the bees remaining grumpy I put in a frame of brood from my good hive.

Now, 2 to 3 weeks later I still haven't seen a queen, and there's no QCs being made, so im assuming her ladyships in there somewhere and I just haven't spotted her yet - but - my issue is that the bees are bridging the gap between the frame I put in and the frames either side, so 3 frames have almost become one block and I tear the comb when I try to separate them - is this right?

What spacing method are you using and what part of the frame are they joining
E

They're the deep Hoffman frames pushed up tight together - the bridging isn't across the whole comb - on one side there's a single section about 2" square (right in the middle of the frame) and on the other side about 4 smaller sections across the top of the frame - its just comb though

when I prise the frames apart they are glued lower down and eventually pull apart

I had a quick look after typing the opening post and ive spotted a queen in there, so that's good - its just bridging now is the issue

my other hives are perfect

Some bees are just a nuisance at drawing comb, I've got a colony now that has drawn some comb over the foundation and not drawing the foundation itself and this is with Hoffman spacing. If possible I try turning the frame to see if this helps.

Try using a sharp knife and trim the lumps off the adjacent frames.. chances are they won't rebridge the gap.

Try using a sharp knife and trim the lumps off the adjacent frames.. chances are they won't rebridge the gap.

:iagree:

I often have to remove some bur comb and yes they don't always draw frames out evenly so if you have two frames next to each other and the comb is too close they will join it up!

As suggested either move the frames about or trim down the comb so there is more of a gap.

Latest posts

Back