Brand new!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Victor,
Yes only very lightly.

Essexgary,

Apart from the actual colour, you have likely made a better choice than some others.

The bees see the higher frequency end of the spectrum, so dependent on what mix it is of red and blue to get the colour. The blue end of the spectrum is likely to mean it reflects UV better than some and so may last a little longer, if indeed, that is an issue.

BTW, mine is that colour too.

As there was no (sensible) response to your question re swarming and uniting, I will give you one. There is no difference between a Dartington (or the beehaus) and any other hive re the size and correlation with swarming; it is the beekeeper who controls the brood size. The simple difference is you are able to A/S on the one level and then re-unite back to one large honey-getting colony simply by removing the dividing partition, after removing the old queen. I feel there may be issues simply following the line of operations as temperament may not be assessed highly enough on the priorities (Robin Dartington says simply 'if satisfactory').

If there is no omlette publication you might be well advised to purchase 'The Manual of New Beekeeping' direct from Robin. It is a good read and shows up several thoughtful reasons for some of the often glossed-over manipulations.

Regards, RAB

You rotters! right, I'm now going to change my order back to a purple one! thanks for the advice Oliver - really useful, I've got Teach Yourself beekeeping on the way, plus a DVD and i'm sure A/S will be covered on my course - hopefully the mystery will soon unravel.

As an aside, having read most of the threads on this website - I didn't realise what a pioneer I was being a new beekeeper and choosing a beehaus... it seems that some have the view that a new beekeeper who chooses one is 'fly-by-night' and not that serious... so for the record and in the spirit of newly developing friendships - yes, I have money to burn - yes, I think the beehaus is pretty - yes, i love purple - yes, i trust omlet when they say the beehaus will be a good home for my bees - yes, i hope I can light the way (in some small way) for people who have (like myself) always wanted to keep bees in a more funky way... and no, I'm not 'fly-by-night' or half-hearted.

G

Jim, I might ask your advice on swarming and uniting in the future -

G

There are a few more experienced in this style of hive (Beehaus/Dartington) than me, I am sure they will help us all out?

Even the designer of the Dartington is on the forum, and I am sure he would love to help other fellow beekeepers out!

More praise

I went on a short course with Steve Kennedy. Found it very good. Good ratio of teachers to participants; really good content and experience of the 2 trainers was extensive. Good location.

Have got help from elsewhere and have joined my local association but am starting to think I'll get no bees this year .. one person may be able to get me a swarm but I think I am desperate enough to buy a NUC

T

Latest posts

Back