Book on hive making??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Looking on a certain site which sell a lot of books - I can find no UK book on hive making - USA yes, but that obviously leads to issues...

Anyone know of a good book on making UK style hives?

http://www. amazon .co.uk/Collins-Complete-Woodworkers-Manual-Jackson/dp/0007164424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375100790&sr=8-1&keywords=carpentry

plus plans

Thanks Ely -- Not sure if you have seen any of my previous posts...I am generally ham-fisted with power tools...and will be starting off from scratch when we eventually move.

Would this book be appropriate for me? I really need, this is a router, this is a power saw...this is what you do first...an ABC book for grown-ups really

What do you think?

Please do to take offence at this, but a woodworking course/book to begin with may be more appropriate. Power saws and routers are dangerous pieces of equipment.

I've been learning to make hives with hand tools only. Slow, but safer and quieter.

Looking on a certain site which sell a lot of books - I can find no UK book on hive making - USA yes, but that obviously leads to issues...

Anyone know of a good book on making UK style hives?

Try this:

http://www.*********/shop/philip-ch...l;jsessionid=3CE94B65AC3D4848B424A4672DC047B4

It's a free download. If you can beat your way, using a hand saw, a hammer, screwdriver and set square, to turn out something that looks presentable, fits together and works (whether you want one or not !) then you can graduate to tools that can seriously cut your body parts off ! At least with hand tools the worst you will do is cut yourself ...

It's a very simple, step by step, guide and will lead you in to bigger and better things - as well as building a hive you will build confidence.

Best of luck.

OK ... so the link is banned.. Google free top bar hive plans.

a woodworking course/book to begin with may be more appropriate.

:iagree:

Find a local woodworking night class. You'll get expert help, all the tools you need should be available, and you'll soon find out if you want to try making another!

Thanks to all for the 'night-class' suggestion - but none run in the day - and my health does not allow for any night time activity (NO - no jokes please...)

In all honesty I very much doubt I would be able to take a course anyway as I would most definitely fail a health and safety assessment and would be considered 'a risk to others and self'...I have it in writing....:(

And thanks - I found the banned link - and may have a go - as hubby and I are both struggling now with the lifting involved...

Last edited:
You could have a go at making hives from kingspan. The tricky bit in the design would be having the runners sufficiently strong that they don't crumble when you lever out the frames.

These power tools are not cheap. Neither is good wood. I'm not sure that making your own hives will save you money.

To be honest Polyanwood it is more saving my sanity that I am worried about - homemade hives are a side effect. I really enjoyed putting a small problem right last month - lifted my spirits - so I thought I would attempt something bigger when we move...maybe a nuc box and go from there...

In all honesty I very much doubt I would be able to take a course anyway as I would most definitely fail a health and safety assessment and would be considered 'a risk to others and self'...I have it in writing....:(

In our area people with disabilities are not barred from taking classes of any sort, they are given a volunteer helper with the level of support dependent on the disability. (I've assisted people in woodwork classes.) Why not investigate what's available once you've moved and settled into your new home?

I may do Beejoyful - I just have a habit of keeling over with little or no notice - my OH is 'carer' - but at a recent tribunal I was informed that I am a risk to myself - but also to others' which is why I am dubious...

I just have a habit of keeling over with little or no notice ..

Best stay away from power tools then ? I think some classes with hand tools may be very therapeutic and great exercise. You may take a while longer to get there but there's just as much satisfaction ...

Or why not just settle for making up frames and hive components from the kits ... the only thing you would be missing is the cutting up the timber - bit of a chore anyway !

Latest posts

Back