Boiler suits to bee suits?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelletap

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 - and a promising bait hive
Hi

I am working with a project where we have about a dozen new beekeepers plus some established ones putting an apiary into a national trust property. We have just 2 suits for the project - the experienced beekeepers also have their own, of course.
Anyone any experience of turning boiler suits into bee suits economically? I have seen some separate hats on sale - not sure whether they come with zips or small vests to go under a boiler suit or whether a zip can be attached to both hat and boiler suit successfully / straightforwardly? Anyone been through this and have any tips or warnings?

Thanks in advance.

Tricia

better to be safe that sorry buy a bee suit :party
i use a boiler suit with my bee suit its not worth it i think by the time you have sown up the gaps that the bees will find for you and then sting them.
get them to chip in half each and share them:blush5:

We just use the occasional use all in one smocks that some of the larger beekeeping website stock. They are about £8 or £9 each and easily stand up to moderate use.

The disadvantace is that the once on you cannot take of the veil without taking off the whole smock. They are however perfectly adequate for the use you describe.

A boilersuit with a front zip (not buttons) usually has two slits for access to trouser pockets. Sew them up and the suit is bee proof. I use one with a vest type veil all the time!

Some really helpful comments here. The two bee suits of the project and the fact that some of us have our own will mean that anyone close to or touching a hive can have one of those and then we can try some of these alternatives as back up - ie those who are standing further back or for emergency use if the last person has not returned the washed bee suit. In time we will build it up but because this project was from a kind legacy we want expenditure. I might suggest everyone considers buying their own cheapie smock mentioned but as they are volunteers it includes penioners and possibly those out of work so don't want to presume anything. I'm OK with a sewing machine as long as someone can thread the needle - these longlife bulbs with aging eyesight are a bit of a challenge.
Tricia

Hi

I am working with a project where we have about a dozen new beekeepers plus some established ones putting an apiary into a national trust property. We have just 2 suits for the project - the experienced beekeepers also have their own, of course.
Anyone any experience of turning boiler suits into bee suits economically? I have seen some separate hats on sale - not sure whether they come with zips or small vests to go under a boiler suit or whether a zip can be attached to both hat and boiler suit successfully / straightforwardly? Anyone been through this and have any tips or warnings?

Thanks in advance.

Tricia
Check the MOD surplus market ;).
I got a submariners boiler suit ! for very little money!
White, dust proof never mind bee proof . All external pockets equipped with velrco'ed flaps !

John Wilkinson

We just use the occasional use all in one smocks that some of the larger beekeeping website stock. They are about £8 or £9 each and easily stand up to moderate use.

The disadvantace is that the once on you cannot take of the veil without taking off the whole smock. They are however perfectly adequate for the use you describe.

Where do you find them please?

Just off to look at MOD surplus before the other canny beeks see this post...
Thanks again

Tricia

Where do you find them please?

I buy mine from Claro Bees in Harrogate but they are also available at Th***es. Check at the bottom of the Jackets and Veils Page. £6.76 but I think that is net of VAT and postage.

Our BKA has a box of them for demonstrations/ practicals.

On my first ever dabble into beekeeping I wore a boiler suit. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it had holes in so was rewarded with 16 stings. Never again.

Ben P

Hi Psafloyd,regarding occasional bee suits try googling observer smock.Ainsie

Back