Blending batches of honey with different water content

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandF

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I don't usually blend my honey, but I have about 25lb of honey which is around 21% water content, and another 25-30lb which is around 16.5%.

I am considering blending both, the theory being I will have around 60lb of honey and the water content will average to around 19% - therefore will be "proper" honey, with no danger of fermenting etc.

I just wanted to run this by you guys to check this would work as planned - I know honey isn't just about water content, there are various enzymes at work too, but I am not sure if the enzymes have already done their job so it is indeed just a question of getting the water content below 20% to make it saleable, AND the hygroscopic nature of honey (osmosis) will mean the water content will indeed even out across the blend?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
I do it regularly, I blend straight out of the frames. High water content in one super with another with lower water content. Even frames in one super can differ greatly the end frames are usually much higher than the middle.
E

It's what commercial packers do all the time.

It's just mixing, there's no osmosis or hygroscopic properties involved.

When we are talking High Moisture content would bwe be referring to the scenario maybe where one side of a frame is capped and other not , or not fully ?

And a secondary question if I may, without wanting to hijack this post ( really ! ) can you extract this uncapped honey safely if say 85% was capped and 15% uncapped .?

At that percentage capped should be fairly safe.

The shake test is always a good indicator, if it doesn't come out when you shake the frame it should be ok.

A refractometer from fleabay is pretty cheap if you want to be sure.

If you've left the honey buckets to settle for a while, You might want to check that your 21% honey has not started to ferment. If it has, you will be introducing honey with a higher than desired yeast content into honey with a low yeast content. At 19% average, the blend may then be at risk of earlier than expected.

Latest posts

Back