Blackthorn honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
I have acres of blackthorn around one of my apiaries and it has been flowering in profusion for nearly 4 weeks. During the warm spell the bees were working it avidly. Does anyone know what colour the honey is, or if it has any particular flavour? Thanks

Blackthorn has a thin watery nectar that is almost always swamped by willow or dandelion nectar before it gets ripened, when I've tasted the watery nectar it's got a good flavour surprisingly light.

Thanks mbc. That accords with what I've got. There's very light, capped honey with a pleasant, quite delicate flavour.

I've never noticed it before but then there hasn't been a spring quite like this since I've had bees on this site. And I've never has so much blackthorn about anywhere else. A "perfect storm" with the weather being so kind when the blackthorn was flowering so profusely. (Now we've just got Hannah, now that apple and may are out.....:()

I think last year was exceptional for willow and blackthorn the temps were alot higher .
This year the temp has been more variable but even so I've never had two supers on hives at home this time of year . I think this is down to the maple and cherry .
If you have Hawthorne you will find the honey flow can be exceptionally very good better than blackthorn . It's looking really good this year I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back