black mold

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I went to get some more frames where I keep them. No problem so far this year. Went to inspect them, and I find some black mold on them. I was told that if I dip them in a Clorox water solution, this would take care of it, so I could put them in the hive. I used very little Clorox in the water. Is this alright to do, or are the bees going to get sick.

Clorox ? ?

what are we talking about here? Bleach, Chlorinated water?

I wouldn't expect it would be any good for them.
At the very least it'll P!55 them off a bit!

Why not give them a quick blast with a blow torch instead?

Bees do like drinking chlorinated water, as people with hot tubs have found out. Something else interesting is this http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-beespart-4-timing-and-tummy-aches/
Great article. Couple of points perhaps.
Don't rely on a swimming pool or other colour change indicator for chlorine measurements outside the proper range. If the chlorine level is high then the colour will bleach showing low levels. This has happened in swimming pools where staff have kept adding more and more chlorine to already over dosed pools. If in doubt start with a diluted sample.
Chlorine bleach will attack wood, corrode pins and glue. Wood submerged in bleach can produce dioxins. The submerged time needs to be enough to remove the mould only. Then rinse with clean water. The problem is that mould spores will hide in the joints, so a trial is probably needed to work out the timing.
When 'pure' chlorine bleach is used it will degrade into common salt and water.
The solution is stabilised with alkali, which isn't a problem, but beware other additions especially perfumes or surfactants (soaps). If you can get teat wash for cows then you know it will be safe.
You might like to consider oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate).

why do people think moldy combs are bad for bees?
i think humans associate mold with heat loss and so jump to the conclusion that mold=cold=bad. But dealing with moldy comb is part of the yearly cycle in a nest for apis mellifera and they have been doing this for at least 1 million years. Has anyone seen a study that associates mold (independent of heat loss) with dis/advantages with honeybees?

i think humans associate mold with heat loss and so jump to the conclusion that mold=cold=bad.
Really!
I always associate mould with dampness.
You can get some lovely moulds growing in warm humid conditions, mushrooms for example.

If the black mould is an Aspergillus species I don't think you would want to breath in the spores.

why do people think moldy combs are bad for bees?
i think humans associate mold with heat loss and so jump to the conclusion that mold=cold=bad. But dealing with moldy comb is part of the yearly cycle in a nest for apis mellifera and they have been doing this for at least 1 million years. Has anyone seen a study that associates mold (independent of heat loss) with dis/advantages with honeybees?

Mycotoxins are fairly bad, would doubt that bees are immune

Stonebrood in bees is the result of an Aspergillus infection (although rarely seen these days)

Could always try H202?

Breaches Hair, it's sure to oxidise the mould probably quite deeply into the wood too.

Back