Bird Box Bumble Bee call out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked to come and take a look at a bird box full of bees a month ago, I too thought they would be bumbles but was plesently surprised firstly to see the size of the bird box about 12x12x18 inch, secondly to find that they were honey bees once the swarm had been rehomed they managed to cover 3 national frames! :)

Had a bee bird box phone call...just have to convince them they will do no harm

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I found inside one earlier this year:

honeycomb-inside-box.jpg

Maybe I need to start going to these bird-box call outs:D

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Have had 9 calls about bees 4 of which were bumbles going in and out of nesting boxes, 2 of bumbles going into the breeze block of houses and 1 miner bee and 2 actual swarms.... I am starting to doubt the people are SUPPOSED to check in the website before contacting a swarm catcher

Took a call yesterday from a lady who was complaining that next door had a bumble bee nest in a bird box. This lady didn't like the idea of the bumbles nesting so close to her own garden as she was worried about her young son being stung. She had approached the neighbour and asked if they would remove the nest but the neighbour wanted to keep the nest and encourage the bees to thrive. Anyway, I gave the standard advice about leaving alone etc, etc, but she was still not happy.The conversation ended when she advised me that she would now be spraying fly spray on any bumble that landed in her garden as she ' could not afford to take the risk of her son being stung'. A true and very sad tale I am sorry to say.

Took a call yesterday from a lady who was complaining that next door had a bumble bee nest in a bird box. This lady didn't like the idea of the bumbles nesting so close to her own garden as she was worried about her young son being stung. She had approached the neighbour and asked if they would remove the nest but the neighbour wanted to keep the nest and encourage the bees to thrive. Anyway, I gave the standard advice about leaving alone etc, etc, but she was still not happy.The conversation ended when she advised me that she would now be spraying fly spray on any bumble that landed in her garden as she ' could not afford to take the risk of her son being stung'. A true and very sad tale I am sorry to say.

now have a picture in my head of an angry women stod guard in her garden with cans of fly spray ion a holster, fingers twitching :eek:

there's some strange, angry, discontented people out there.

Latest posts

Back