Bfa agm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Anyone going to the Bee Farmer's AGM and BeeTradex tomorrow at Stoneleigh?

Cris

how was it. was it well attended?

Pretty well attended I think. 80 or so BFA members there? It was good to actually meet some names that I recognised in the flesh.

Overview of the accounts. Resolutions to be passed. Master certificates to be handed out. Heated discussions about who should and who shouldn't be allowed to become a member (if you're employed in bee farming-related work but don't actually own the hives then should you be eligible? etc - personally I think yes).

I was about to suggest the formation of a corporate membership for packers like ourselves to help boost the BFA subs, but didn't get the chance (that, or my hand waving antics at the back were ignored so that we could quickly move on to a less emotive topic!).

I think I was one of the only people in the room not to get a seat, so was a little stiff towards the end having stood at the back 😂

I think I was one of the only people in the room not to get a seat, so was a little stiff towards the end having stood at the back ��

I had two seats, and was stiff from sitting down too long! :)

I was about to suggest the formation of a corporate membership for packers like ourselves to help boost the BFA subs, but didn't get the chance (that, or my hand waving antics at the back were ignored so that we could quickly move on to a less emotive topic!).

a sit on the fence with this one

Bee farmers = farming of Bees.

If it was not so confusing, Bee farmers Associates = Associates of those that farm bees

Yes Pete, perhaps an Associate membership offering would be a good idea. But what about bee farmers that work the bees but who don't own the hives? ��

My first BFA AGM and I thought it was ok.
Agree membership should be opened up to those who 'farm' bees but may not own them.

Associate membership and corporate membership already exist. Rowse are a corporate member, associate members are normally those not yet of sufficient scale to be full members (this is changing) but intending to get there.

If corporate is what you want contact Alex or Margaret.

I strongly supported the opening up of full membership. Those whose livelihoods are wholly wrapped up in bee farming as long term employees have more to gain or lose from BFA membership than many of the existing smaller scale members. They often have a wealth of experience and ability that will be an asset to the organisation and the organisation will be an asset to them (not least it means they are then within a marketplace for their skills).

Whilst Jolanta did not initially qualify she was a potential major asset and to get her in we had to transfer colonies over to her, and now this has borne fruit with her free standing queen and nuc producing unit. Now she qualifies under the new rules without having to make a structure for it, and I have a couple of others I think should be in.

FWIW, she is instructed, as would others be, that they vote according to their own inclinations. (and she did vote contrary to me in a couple of issues) This is NOT an attempt by some members to secure an effective block vote, as was suggested to me by a member after the change was made.

Latest posts

Back