beware old veils are easily chewed through

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandabow

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
4 eeep! keep needing to AS.. 2 with virgin Qs tho'
well i used to be desensitised but...

10-15 yrs ago when being stung wasn't all that uncommon, i never came up in any kind of swelling.. so being blazay and helping with a very overdue AS this weekend i just wore a veil i had picked up as part of a suit at an auction for a tenner rather than going home and picking up my full new suit... big mistake

while it started holeless the fabric was quite old and the cunning bees soon chewed holes throght at the back...

hair full of bees... don't worry say i don't react to stings, and they don't seem to be getting past being stuck in my hair... lets just get this done..

6 stings to the neck later i'm trundling up the garden with a cluod of angry bees above and what seems like hundreds stuck in my hair under the veil.. manage to loose the cloud and take of my useless veil + begin to pick some of the stingers out.. seeems i missed 4 which the freinds i was helping removed from the back of my neck later on when they had finished.

days later i still have the lovely bulbous red itchy necklace to show for it.. seems i'm not immune anymore, still good way to remind my immune system what it's got to fight against, i can feel the T cell production already... time to remake or scrap this veil me thinks.. so glad it didnt get it's first use with somone scared of stings or worse proper anaphalactic shock allergic type...

anywhoo thought i'd point out. old kit while dirt cheap can sometimes be a duncy thing to buy. and having once been acclimatised to stinging doesnt mean it'll hold if you have a few yrs of abstinance under your belt.

i would say live and learn but i seem to be out of practice at the latter

on the bonus side, watching a queen emerge as i was comming to strip the cell i decided to give her a chance in life.. (must be getting soft in my old age) so armed with a bit of brood, some stores i've set up a nuc..... she'll probably be a crap queen but she's mine and i luff her already

Ouch ...I had 3 to the head a fortnight ago and that was inconvenient too.

"she'll probably be a crap queen but she's mine and i luff her already"

Seems to me like those stings are still reacting...8)

Sam

Latest posts

Back