Better Strap the Hives Down….

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mere breeze here at 568mph in Lincolnshire but strangely the house is still standing. ?

#update 11:57 The lovely Carol Kirkwood just apologized for problems on the weather app before doing forecast on BBC News. Phew!

Last edited:
A mere breeze here at 568mph in Lincolnshire but strangely the house is still standing. ?

#update 11:57 The lovely Carol Kirkwood just apologized for problems on the weather app before doing forecast on BBC News. Phew!

Yes that is a mere breeze, our wind speeds on the Sussex/Surrey border were forecast at around 14500. And who’s says we’re soft down south?
Sh*t it’s just gone up to 15187, better strap the house down!

Met Office is usually reliable up to 3 days when the wind and weather come from the west, often longer otherwise.

Today's predicted winds were an error in the system.

My wheelie bin is more accurate.

Wheelie bin is hot = sunny
Wheelie bin is wet = rain
Wheelie bin is cool = overcast
Wheelie bin is white = snowing
Wheelie bin is moving = earthquake
Wheelie bin is missing = Tornado or stolen

Met Office is usually reliable up to 3 days when the wind and weather come from the west, often longer otherwise.

Sadly not in my experience. Which is disappointing given that to get the weather right for here they probably just have to look out of the window :D

James

I've found the Met office pretty reliable in general

Met Office is usually reliable up to 3 days
anything further than that is a combination of guesswork, wishful thinking and the toss of a coin

Yes that is a mere breeze, our wind speeds on the Sussex/Surrey border were forecast at around 14500. And who’s says we’re soft down south?
Sh*t it’s just gone up to 15187, better strap the house down!
At those speeds you will be making your next post from Canada or far reaches of Russia depending on wind direction..

I prefer the met office forecast - there is a met office weather station not to far away, I can see it most days

In an odd coincidence, a few months before I moved back to the south west the Met Office moved from Bracknell, where I worked at the time, to Exeter, only about fifteen miles from where we rented a place whilst we were house-hunting.

James

In an odd coincidence, a few months before I moved back to the south west the Met Office moved from Bracknell, where I worked at the time, to Exeter, only about fifteen miles from where we rented a place whilst we were house-hunting.

James
Interestingly don’t the bbc use the met office weather stations.
First photo the weather station is the globe on the right bottom photo is the met office weather station and northern lights.
IMG_3482.jpegIMG_1827.jpeg

Interestingly don’t the bbc use the met office weather stations.

The Met Office provided the BBC weather forecasts until perhaps five or six years ago and I think still do some of the severe weather warning stuff, but the general forecast has come from MeteoGroup since then as far as I'm aware. MeteoGroup (mostly) get their forecast data from a Europe-wide (where that includes the UK) organisation who have an office in Reading, I believe.

James

MeteoGroup (mostly) get their forecast data from a Europe-wide (where that includes the UK) organisation

A search suggests that this may be the European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts. Or ECMWF, if you don't want to wear your keyboard out so quickly.

James

Latest posts

Back