Best time to move

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I've just sorted out an additional site and will populate with 3 overwintered nucs.

I would say one is strong, one medium and one weak.

Does it matter when I move them or shall I wait until they've built up a bit.

Move will be more than 3 miles.

It depends (more info needed). Its more than 3 miles so that is not a criteria - when ever you like from that perspective BUT they are all Nucs. Your objective this year is to build them into viable colonies by autumn. So the question back is "is the early/spring forage better in the current location or the new location?" which will support build up better?

If moving full colonies is a problem for you or your current location wont support full colonies on H&S grounds then your choices become more limited and (again) more info is needed.

Thanks Rosti

The new location is new to me but the forage will probably be a little better - can't say for certain. Moving bees is not a problem - done it several times now without any hitches. No pressure to move from current location. Attraction of site is that it is more than 3 miles and may be better forage. Long term expansion into a 2nd site is a further attraction.

The question was really about whether moving small colonies like nucs at this time of year will knock them back or does it not matter?

Peter

Won't matter a hoot.

Only way to check out a site is to have bees on it.

PH

3feet 3miles

At risk of hijacking the thread I have 2 hives to move across the garden - about 9 yards in total.

Can't do it at the moment because of my arm in a sling so it looks like I'm going to have to do it later in the year, I understand the 3 feet/3 mile rule but have a couple of questions first.

Say I go for the 3 miles, my mothers garden is the prime target 10 miles away, how long would one leave them there? I would assume a week would suffice but what would the minimum be?

If I take the 3 feet option that would be 9 moves each hive, what would be the minimum time between moves, if it's a week then I may as well go for the 3 mile option rather than take two months to do the job, but if it's say 3 days then it would be less hassle than the big move.

Two weeks was the recommendation when the 3 feet 3 mile rule was originally slated, I believe.

If you move them back in only one week and there are drones in the hive they will still remember the old site. I'd leave them for longer, say 2 to 3 weeks.
If you decide to move them in several 3 foot moves, try leaving each hive on a wheelbarrow during the moves, and move them in steps every two or three flying days. Leaving them on a wheelbarrow makes the moving much easier.

Well well a bit of thinking is required.

How long is a summer bee alive?

How long does said bee forage for? Approx?

That is how long you need to leave your hive. And I would add a week for safety. So that is 4 weeks.

PH

Hmmm,

Ok, I'm liking the idea of leaving the hives in wheelbarrows and moving them a little at a time.

I mooted the question at our LBA meeting tonight and was advised that if we have another cold snap and the bees don't fly for 3 or more days it would be possible to move them across the garden in one move. OK I cant lift them at the moment but I'm sure I could find a couple of victims to do the job for me.

Any Comments?

I'm moving hives at the moment from the ground onto stands approx. 10 metres away to get them away from a neighbours fence & facing the right way. I also want to get them off the ground to make it easier to mow around them. I strap them up tight onto a trolley (think furniture removal type) & move them a few metres every morning. I use a trick that I think really works. Place a long board a couple of metres long, preferably painted white at the entrance of the hive. The bees orient to it & don't get confused with other hives. If a few drift to other hives it's no big deal, they all have a safe home. Give them a few puffs of smoke before you move them. I've moved two with no problems with a third on the way. Three more to go. Hope this helps.

Well well a bit of thinking is required.

I like the thinking, but in this case there is a simple flaw.

How long is a summer bee alive?

Ahh but, bees can live 6 months over the winter period? That does not fall into this line of thinking quite so easily. Is there a different rule for the winter?

RAB

Just had a look at the MET office forecast for our area and it's supposedly going to be cool here until Wednesday, which will mean that the bees will have been cabined up for about a week, so I think I may risk a move on Tuesday unless the weather warms up in the meantime.

If you wanted extra security and feel you can move them in one go I did once get advised to pack the entrance with grass, similar to with nucs and by the time the bees have eaten their way out they are re-adjusted to their new location.

I have not tried this myself, so if any of the more experienced Apiculturists are willing to advise?

I use grass packing constantly during the summer when I make up nucs.

PH

I've just sorted out an additional site and will populate with 3 overwintered nucs.

I would say one is strong, one medium and one weak.

Does it matter when I move them or shall I wait until they've built up a bit.

Move will be more than 3 miles.

Close the entrance in the evening, move in the morning if the temperature is likely to get much above 9C. That way if bees drop off the cluster they will not be chilled and stay down. Build them up by feeding them 50:50 syrup starting soon if they are bringing in pollen. Fondant if not. Watch the weak one. It may build up, perhaps late. If it shows signs of disease get the Bee Inspector in. If they are at home it might be easier to leave them until they have expanded so you canfeed them and keep an eye on the more easily.

good point James. They are going to be more leave alone at thee new site. The weak one is weak because it was a very late nuc from a spare queen.

Latest posts

Back