Best of Luck with your Module Exams today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passed mod 5. Only one I sat.
One at a time for me now that it's twice per year.

I'm going to do 3 and 6 in November then and 8 in March and assuming I pass those, 5 and 7 November 2013 .....but it seems module 4 is not on the menu????

I'm going to do 3 and 6 in November then and 8 in March and assuming I pass those, 5 and 7 November 2013 .....but it seems module 4 is not on the menu????

Module 4 does not exist anymore.

Quote from the BBKA website: Module 8 must be the last module to be taken, otherwise they can be tackled in any order

It would take forever to pass them all then. I was hoping to take a run at them. The exams were harder than I thought. They were also structured in a way that made them tougher.....not multiple choice :) I would have to work hard to pass the rest. It feels more of a burden if it has to go on for 3 years.

Perhaps I'll look at the husbandry exam.

It would take forever to pass them all then. I was hoping to take a run at them. The exams were harder than I thought. They were also structured in a way that made them tougher.....not multiple choice :) I would have to work hard to pass the rest. It feels more of a burden if it has to go on for 3 years.

I have had this "discussion" with several key players now: 1,2,3 will be offered every sitting from March 2013 due to increased demand but I will be in the same boat of having to wait a daft amount of time for the last two BUT have not done Gen Hus and that's quite a lot of work too...

Exam Blues

I attempted 4 and only passed 2 :( I failed module 7 by just 3% - a little disappointing.

They were all a lot more rigorous than I expected. I’m having a stab at modules 3 and 6 in the autumn and then module 8 in the spring.

I’m also doing the General Husbandry Assessment in June – though my bees are being a little morose and not expanding at the rate I hoped. I may need to withdraw or delay as I might not have 3 honey producing colonies by the end of June.

I attempted 4 and only passed 2 :( I failed module 7 by just 3% - a little disappointing.

They were all a lot more rigorous than I expected. I’m having a stab at modules 3 and 6 in the autumn and then module 8 in the spring.

I’m also doing the General Husbandry Assessment in June – though my bees are being a little morose and not expanding at the rate I hoped. I may need to withdraw or delay as I might not have 3 honey producing colonies by the end of June.

As above - Mod 8 only after all the rest passed. Expect there will be quite a few problems with the GH....strengthening colonies with bits of others may be needed?

Congratulations to all who passed!

I got home from work a bit early yesterday and found a letter from the BBKA. I hadn't a notion what they were writing about but that soon changed..... I am pleased to say I got a distinction in Module 1 at the first attempt!

I studied on my own for this module, suitably informed by all the wonderful info on this forum! I'm unaware of any study groups in NI for these modules so I may invest in the correspondence courses for some of the other modules.

Well done Teemore:.) Same for me, not the distinction I add quickly, but no idea what letter was about. Just got a credit, kinda phewww, Thought I'd failed as I ran out of time, big time.

Oooh, sorry, well done everyone who took and passed mods this time. Only just read the whole thread. Commiserations those who didn't, mighty glad I didnt do 2, 5 & 7 as was my original plan. Changed mind when realised I had a lot less time available to work for them, almost none really.

As above - Mod 8 only after all the rest passed. Expect there will be quite a few problems with the GH....strengthening colonies with bits of others may be needed?

agree module 8 only allowed after you have passed six, so those who say they are taking it...better review their timetable

passed mine with a credit but missed a distinction..ran out of time , not onto module 8 myself yet but only do one per year so far, i like to read up on the module in winter

anyone taking module 6...want to exchange views on answers to questions say 2011 paper and work back to 2004...could do it on open forum basis or do we also start with module 1 2012 for those just starting

Last edited:
anyone taking module 6...want to exchange views on answers to questions say 2011 paper and work back to 2004...could do it on open forum basis or do we also start with module 1 2012 for those just starting

You going to take it in November MM? If so, I'll study with you. When do we have to sign up by?

Isit possible to get copies of your marked papers or is the only option the £20 resume of your strength and weaknesses?

I took six years to get all mine, which seemed a good pace for me. It's not an exercise in cramming, but in learning. I found after modules 1 & 2 that one a year worked well for me - I got to feel that I was properly on top of the subject matter, and got a good pass in each one.

I'm not going to cram. I thought they were hard exams. I got started on the books this week as soon as I knew I'd passed the others. I don't think I would do very well if i left it all to the last minute. I certainly wouldn't remember things long term if I crammed.

My point being that you shouldn't view them as something to be rushed. Module 7, for instance, only makes sense IMHO if you've spent a couple of seasons trying different queen raising methods. Module 5 is a lot easier if you've taken the time to dissect honeybees and look closely at the structures involved. Etc.

Speak to them about the General. They may be happy to proceed anyway as the season has been so poor. (Or borrow a hive for a couple of weeks)?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back