Best Action To Take?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
About 5 weeks ago during an inspection I noticed one of my hives the queen had all but stopped laying and was very lethargic, I left alone and inspected again a week later to find two supercedure cells so I closed up and left them to it.

Today I inspected and found a nice plump queen who had just started laying (eggs seen) but no other brood, bees covering 9 frames so quiet a strong hive.

My question is should I leave them to it and hope the queen goes into overdrive and produces enough brood to see them through the winter or should I make a Nuc with the queen and half the bees then combine the others with another hive?

Short answer is yes leave them to it but I would do your varroa treatment sooner rather than later as there is no sealed brood at present you should get a great kill rate.

Short answer is yes leave them to it but I would do your varroa treatment sooner rather than later as there is no sealed brood at present you should get a great kill rate.

:thanks:

My question is should I leave them to it and hope the queen goes into overdrive and produces enough brood to see them through the winter

Yes, it's still summertime you know - also wait for the brood to be capped before getting too excited to prove the queen is laying fertilised eggs. I get Doug's point on varroa treatment, but personally I would be tempted to leave well alone now as you don't want anything to happen which may slow down the new queen laying. I would just ensure they get a good OA trickle come midwinter - but that's just my preference :D

:yeahthat: check in 8 days for cappings and if all good in a few weeks time for amount the queen is laying, if shes not up to scratch requeen with a good queen

You have loads and loads of time. I still have queens in queen cells!
E

For voroa control you could remove the first frame of sealed brood as it will contain most of the varoa mite that have been waiting for brood on which to feed / mate on. replace removed frame with drawn comb if possible to give Q laying space.

then there will still be plenty of time for the colony to recover

Colin

Thanks for the replys gang, will keep you posted

Back