Beeswax.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just a picture of some beeswax blocks, finished dealing with it yesterday,a mixture of cappings wax and pressed out comb wax,the molds used are old plastic honey buckets,mostly 30lb ones.

Four hundred and seven pounds of wax ready to exchange for foundation.

Hivemaker:

Is this just this years wax?

not worthy

Is this just this years wax?

Most of it, yes, there is some in the pile from some pressed out brood frames from last year, decided it was not worth the hassle of doing any more of them for the return in wax, i still have one 120kg barrel of pressed out blocks of brood combs from this year, its going on the bonfire for the same reason.

how many hives? .... to the nearest dozen!??

Is there an alternative to trading it in that will give you a better return

What was your method for doing this Pete?

Steamer? Old wax in water bath?

What do you filter it through? It looks great.

Pete, I take it that this was from your Ling/ Bell heather this year? Very nice!

Making candles?

Been there,done that, as they say, and there was a time several years ago that i used to quite enjoy making them, bought lots of molds and even went as far as making my own silicone molds, plus all the artwork. But that time passed, and i lost interest a long time ago now, and think i would sooner go and sit in a ditch rather than make candles.

What was your method for doing this Pete?

Hi Cris, i use nor have no high tech method, just an old electric boiler,a deep chip basket, pair of tights around the outside of the basket for straining and a big ladle to scoop the molten wax out of the basket and into the buckets,around forty pounds of wax every half hour or so.

Had a steam extractor, never got on too well with that, also had one of the tanks that work on water pressure.

time passed, and i lost interest a long time ago now, and think i would sooner go and sit in a ditch rather than make candles./QUOTE]Love the phrase. That's not to say others might not want to make candles with it, ever tried selling it to candle makers? The larger supply companies seem to be charging 7 or 8 quid a kilo selling in hobby quantities. That lot would be worth several hundred.

Latest posts

Back