Bees update and fanning in mist ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Morning all !

Well the mist and cold fog we have had over the past few days continues. I've been feeding the beasts 1:1 syrup to encourage drawing foundation and just to keep them happy as not much foraging going on although in a burst of sun for half hour yesterday they went balistic bringing in all sorts of pollen.

This morning I had a wee peek at the front of the hive and about ten bees were lined up near the reduced entrance bums facing outwards and fanning away.

Whats all that about then ?

How much stores did they have before you started feeding them? they could be fanning as they've stored the syrup and are reducing the water content before capping

Its a small 5 frame nuc recently rehived into my poly lang. They had one frame full of stores with an arc of capping but that was the last inspection before the weather closed in again. Also two additional frames undrawn foundation that is hopefully being worked on !

It didnt look like they were exposing the nasanov glands - just fanning away. Quite cool to see !

Latest posts

Back