Bees pulling out brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bee bee king

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
IMG_20220928_153458.jpgive got 13 hives but this one has no eggs that I could find and isn't behaving like the others. I saw,a bee carry out a black pupating larvae. Any ideas please. The hive incl queen all very lethargic until they started to get protective and show an interest in my veil.

I cannot see clearly but perforated cappings suggest either:
varroa (most likely)
Lack of food/no stores
AFB/EFB - no signs I can see

My vote is high varroa loads. Or no stores

Reactions: Kaz

View attachment 33997ive got 13 hives but this one has no eggs that I could find and isn't behaving like the others. I saw,a bee carry out a black pupating larvae. Any ideas please. The hive incl queen all very lethargic until they started to get protective and show an interest in my veil.
I cannot see clearly but perforated cappings suggest either:
varroa (most likely)
Lack of food/no stores
AFB/EFB - no signs I can see

My vote is high varroa loads. Or no stores
Sac brood?

Not enough info. What are stores like ? Have you/are you treating for varroa
currently on apiguard, but looking at other hives today the queen doesnt ( from memory ) look very big. All other hives have same treatment for varroa and have e +l+b

yes thanks for this im aware that apiguard can cause bees to react differently/unusual behaviour. At the time of posting i cant remember the stores situation. So I will investigate in next few days. its just that this hive is the only one that has acted differently out of the 13. Thanks to all those that have replied. The hives are not at my home so therefore i have to travel to get there.

Ok here's an update. The q has laid 14 eggs yesterday. The bee numbers are very very low. There are at least 4 brood frames with sealed honey. There are about 6 or so frames where the larvae look like the picture. There is not the typical arch of stores etc. The bees are putting nectar/ honey in the brood frames where the q has obviously previously been laying. I think this colony will not survive.

Ok here's an update. The q has laid 14 eggs yesterday. The bee numbers are very very low. There are at least 4 brood frames with sealed honey. There are about 6 or so frames where the larvae look like the picture. There is not the typical arch of stores etc. The bees are putting nectar/ honey in the brood frames where the q has obviously previously been laying. I think this colony will not survive.
Pollen?
If there is no Pollen they can't rear brood and I've seen the bees strip out brood in all stages if there is no pollen in the hive and none coming in (for various reasons); first they'll remove the drone brood then the larvae, the queen will have stopped laying by then and last, they will remove capped brood.

There is still time for you to help the hive get over this hiccup (assuming it's nothing serious), add a frame of larvae ideally in all stages, after they start to emerge in a week, add a frame or two of capped brood, make sure there are stores with pollen - take them from other hives if needed, make sure you feed this hive and other hives you're stripping.

If you have a very strong hive you could bleed the foragers from it.

From the description of a weak hive,I would waste no time. Cut your losses. Dud queen or disease.

Latest posts

Back