Bees outside hive with Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbury

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I put in Apiguard 2 days ago and today about a double handful of bees have camped outside and even as I write at 10pm they are still clustered on the side of the hive. I have heard of something like this happening but what do I do about them. The drop of mites on the corrux board is several hundred so I must not just take off the Apiguard?
Has anyone else had this problem and if so any action I should take? Thank you.

Tis normal, don't worry, mine are doing that today.

That explains a lot - mine were doing that at 6pm tonight, two large clusters. Have never seen them do that before.

Thank you but what is the problem?. I cannot get into the hppyguard website.

bunbury,

I think this is the relevant FAQ on the AGuard website that RAB is referring to:

13. Q: The bees are forming a beard at the entrance to the colony; does this mean
the Apiguard is harming them?

A: Bees often form a beard when it’s just too hot inside the hive. However, they
do this sometimes in hot conditions when Apiguard is first introduced to the hive as
they are not used to the vapour that can build up quickly in hot conditions. This
behaviour is usually transitory and the bees will go back into the hive. It is rare for the bees to abscond.

don't worry...

Applied Apiguard to my July 2011 swarm on Saturday evening and Sunday they just moped around the entrance all day, fanning their wings and looking quite miffed. No real interested in bringing in stores. The hive next door was going full tilt bringing in Balsam. Their turn next week.:eek:

Seeing how they have reacted to the Apiguard I kick myself for not giving to the larger hive first and giving this smaller hive another week or 2 to keep building her winter bees. :rolleyes:

On the hive I did apply Apiguard, I inserted board under the floor and also bunged some insulation foam in the back end to try and make it airtight. I pulled out the insert yesterday for a quick inspection I noticed clear liquid on top - probably condensation. Is that likely to cause me problems and should I rather leave the back open?

BL

Latest posts

Back