Bees on sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much Trisha , as you know I am completly new to bee keeping so was very happy to see some honey bees that I coaxed to my hive, I didn't mean to upset anyone.
I will get someone to look at the garden as you suggest {don't suppose you visit shrewsbury shopping or something lol if you do you are more than welcome hehe} . I have been out today building a frame work around to keep them out of neighbours gardens {hopefully}, don't know if I am doing it right or not, I had helpers a couple of honey bees on my back just visiting my hive lol.
I have no problem getting land to put more hives I am friends with alot of farmers around shrewsbury , they would be happy for me to put hives on the land. My reason for wanting one in the garden is that I will be constantly learning , I would see what was going on every day and if it gets too big I can just move them ,if I knew how hehe.
Thanks to everyone else for all the replies but be warned you may get more stupid questions coming from me ;)

I think it's wonderful that you are so keen to keep bees, and, trust me, the fact you can distingush a drone from a queen is a lot more than certain beekeepers ( who shall remain nameless ) can do (grumble grumble grumble )

Welcome to the forum, I am a beginner also, just completing my first year of beekeeping and this forum has taught me so much. Yes, there have been one or two less than helpful replies, but on the whole the people on this forum have seen me through the ups and downs, and taught me well and given me no end of support not worthy

Oh, just so you don't step on any toes, can I inform you that I am the stupid question asker of this forum ;) LOL, saying that though, I could do with someone to cover for the times I am not around heh heh ;)

You will also need to be careful what information to take to be true.

e.g. you may possibly cause an outbreak of foul brood disease BUT that will be a long way from definitely.

Chris

99% of out breaks of AFB have been traced to exposure to foreign honey.
Reason being ,excepting the UK (and perhaps the odd other country)
It's standard practice to treat for afb using antibiotics , this is known to mask the disease rather than cure it . Afb spores are present in the honey of afb infected colonies and the processing of said honey certainly does not reduce the viability of said spores !
Remember also that honey packers blend their honeys , the resultant jar on the shelf can have originated from God only knows where.

John Wilkinson

Not quite the same as..

""if you do you will definitely cause and out break of foul brood""

though, is it?

No, just a possibility as I wrote..

... after all, I know how keen you are on accuracy as we all are.

Chris

Not quite the same as..

""if you do you will definitely cause and out break of foul brood""

though, is it?

No, just a possibility as I wrote..

... after all, I know how keen you are on accuracy as we all are.

Chris

If you insist
I'll modify to VERY PROBABLY!
Probably not as far as you would like but thats as far as will Go :cheers2:

John Wilkinson

Kazmcc I am more than happy to join "stupid Question team" with you ;) thanks for the encouragement :cheers2:
Trisha I am so looking forward to your call , Sharon said the reason she was comfortable with the bees is because she had alot of confidence in you as a keeper :iagree:
Also thanks to John Chris and mystil for the replies :cheers2:

Kazmcc I am more than happy to join "stupid Question team" with you ;) thanks for the encouragement :cheers2::

Between us, I am sure we will keep the more experienced members scratching their heads and wondering where on earth we got our ideas from for years to come :)

Latest posts

Back