Bees on OSR how to tell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff Buzz,
Thanks for lovely pic. I have had one or two of those with the mark on the head! Were you able to visually verify that the pollen had indeed come from OSR i.e. seen it being collected by the bee/s as she is back in the hive! I am being so picky because some sources state that it is khaki and others yellow! Possibly, it could be both, of course, different strains of OSR.

Some of mine are coming back looking similar to the pic, but with a much more orange coloured pollen, and with it all over their backs as well. I've tried looking for any OSR around but can't find any within foraging distance, so wondered what this could be?

Nice picture btw :)

Orange is probably dandelion - there's still plenty of those around hereabouts and they're rather partial to them.

Hi again Jeff,
Just consulted with Ted Hooper and he agrees that Rape pollen was bright yellow in 1983.

Drove along the M4 from Reading towards Swindon this late afternoon. The heady scent of OSR in adjoining fields was such that I could almost taste it!

I ( and my mentor) have some bees on the OSR at the moment and they are bringing in shed loads of yellow pollen - just the same colour as the pic above. Most have it all over their backs too. The girls have so much pollen aboard they can hardly fly! The nectar is also coming in great quantities.

Someone asked how you can tell if your bees are on OSR.

This one was.....

Do they get the dot on their head from visiting any brassicas?

I know there's no OSR nearby, but there are some 'over and done with' purple sprouting that should have been dug up, and I know the bees are visiting it.

Do they get the dot on their head from visiting any brassicas?

I know there's no OSR nearby, but there are some 'over and done with' purple sprouting that should have been dug up, and I know the bees are visiting it.

Yes, same here, so I would be interested to know, too

I thought it was some kind of camouflage to stop me finding my Yellow marked Queen

Latest posts

Back