Bee's on Country File

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the big queston - will the ban be extended and if so, what should farmers do?

I've just finished reading Prof. Dave Goulson's "A Buzz in the Meadow". He says in Chapter 13 "It seems to me that we should return to IPM, minimising the use of pesticides by monitoring pest problems and boosting the numbers of natural enemies, using chemical controls only when they have to be used. Prophylactic use of persistent pesticides is not a sustainable approach because it leads to pesticides accumulating, damages the populations of bees and the natural enemies of pests and is highly likely to lead to the evolution of resistance in the pests, as has already happened in the USA, where some Colorado-beetle populations are nearly immune to neonics." The damage to bees refers to the massive reduction of bumble bee queens in nests near crops treated with neonics. Fewer Queens, less nests next year. Less nests, less pollination. Less pollination, less food. If the authorities knew in the 1990s, when approval was sought for the use of neonics, what the nature and effect of these chemicals were, I don't think that approval would have been forthcoming.

IPM seems to be the only game in town.

A Buzz in the Meadow is a really good read and I thoroughly recommend it.

CVB

Latest posts

Back