Bees on a budget hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Got one of these today and I am well chuffed with it for the money. The only down side is the 8 week wait for delivery.

personally for the few extra quid Hivemakers already built option is wonderful. My first hive was a B on Budget but will be sticking with Hivemakers from now on.

It was £135 delivered complete with everything.

personally for the few extra quid Hivemakers already built option is wonderful. My first hive was a B on Budget but will be sticking with Hivemakers from now on.

Agree:iagree: I bought a hive of second wood from ebay It was not fit for porpoise frames did not fit, gaps everywhere, my mate is a carpenter and even he said it was shocking :willy_nilly:

I have a hive from http://www.thebeehiveworkshop.co.uk/ (tom bick) It's to good to put in the garden ;o)

But i got my bees from hivemaker and i did see his hives they were equally as nice.:D

It also supports the Independent hivebuilder !

We have one of the second quality cedar hives, we had no problem putting it together. Excellent value IMHO.

We also have one of fragile planet's budget ply hives. Didn't go together as neatly as the other one, but for £49 excluding the frames I guess you can't complain. It certainly does the job.

We have one of the second quality cedar hives, we had no problem putting it together. Excellent value IMHO.

We also have one of fragile planet's budget ply hives. Didn't go together as neatly as the other one, but for £49 excluding the frames I guess you can't complain. It certainly does the job.

yes, i purchased one of their 14x12 ply broods at stoneleigh, they are £17 delivered, ok for artificial swarm control manipulation etc....but i use Tom Bicks brood boxes as the main hive, their in there 24/7 so i prefer to give them the best

It was not fit for porpoise frames did not fit, gaps everywhere,

It is always 'buyer beware'. Seconds bought from the th*rne sale, for instance, are often good value and only one or two 'defective' parts. Meaning a dead knot or a piece with a slight shape defect.

Great if you buy, say, a dozen units and select the best bits to make up 'first quality' equivalents, then auction off the remaining cr*ppy parts as 'seconds' and get silly money for what is basically scrap. Again, 'buyer beware'.

Regards, RAB

Have looked at all the parts now and am still very happy.

Latest posts

Back