Bees not taking syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any idea how to encourage the bees to the rapid feeders?

When I open the roof to access the feeders I note they haven't taken any syrup so deliberately drip some syrup down I to the hive by lifting the feeders cup but they still haven't come up to the feeder itself.

It's not that they have sufficient stores in the hive anyway.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Regards

Stupid thing to suggest but make sure the hole of the feeder is over the hole in the crown/feeder board and also that there is no frame under that hole that is blocking it especially on bottom bee space hive. I drip down the side of the feeder and onto the top bars, usually does the trick
E

Try a frame feeder. Crown boards should be solid to conserve heat.

PH

I put newspaper sheets over rapid feeder. IT keeps syrup warm over light.
Otherwise many colony retreats from feeder during night.

You could try adding a few drops of lemongrass oil to the syrup. Gives it more aroma which I find helps to arouse the bees interest.

Check the health and queen status of the hive. Not taking their syrup in early autumn is absolute No1 indicator for us that all is not well.

Causes are many. From no queen down to just too weak. Its FAR to early for it to be weather caused reluctance. If its absolutely stuffed full already they might not go for it too well but would probably be up there trying to draw wild comb.

Despite old style advice to feed them till they cannot take any more it is best by far not to overfeed. You still want them to have brood space as a late crop of young bees is invaluable for overwintering.

Thus if you have already fed them to full and are trying to get them to take more you may well be harming the wintering prospects of the colony.

Despite old style advice to feed them till they cannot take any more it is best by far not to overfeed. You still want them to have brood space as a late crop of young bees is invaluable for overwintering.

Thus if you have already fed them to full and are trying to get them to take more you may well be harming the wintering prospects of the colony.

There's a lot of this going on at present ... Wise words Murray .....Beginners should take a serious note of this post ...

What about Jumbo 3 Gallon feeders placed directly over a warm way brood box with top cover removed. Is this not the closest I can get the syrup to the brood without degrading temperature? or should I place the feeder above the top cover?

WellAllbee;603642 Is this not the closest I can get the syrup to the brood without degrading temperature?[/QUOTE said:
No it's not. A frame feeder is the best to fit that bill. Note ITLD's comments above. Feeding is a fine balancing act, maintaining enough space for queen to lay brood, but ensuring they have sufficient stores. Unless you add thymol, or they take all 3 gallons down swiftly, you are left feeding mouldy syrup. The most I will ever feed is about a gallon at a time, and see how they take to it. Obviously I am not in this commercially so time is not that important. Actually hoping to not have to feed this year. I run double brood nationals and do not raid the brood box for honey, and they are still bringing plenty in. About 10 days ago I had to add a third BB to one colony, who are going like the hammers. I will distribute any extra stores to any other hives that might need it.

Thank you for your replies and advice.

For your info, i use the normal round rapid feeders and I will check again later to see if they have taken it. I only started feeding them after a check 10 days ago showed they were low in stores.

The first feed went well, so good it just took a couple of days to consume the lot which made me feel they needed more? So I topped the feeders up once again and it has been left.

Perhaps the first feed was ample?

Latest posts

Back