Bees jumping on hive tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testka

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

Had a check on the girls a few days ago. Nice and warm here in sunny London. All was going well then for no apparent reason a number of bees kept being attracted to my hive tool. LIke a magnet attracts Iron fillings :). Very odd. The only thing I remember doing before this started was to srape away some wax from the side of the brood chamber.

I even smoked the hive tool in case of any funny smells but this did not seem to work. Luckily for me they did not seem interested in my hand or indeed my wife's hive tool (she was on the other side of the hive). I then closed the hive and left them too it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I've never seen or read about anything like this before.

Thanks.

ah sure did see the threads about this earlier, good time to update mine. I'm in London. Thanks.

Eh?!

'Nice and warm here in sunny London' kind of gives it away. And why on earth is location important for a question like this? What are you trying to achieve RAB?

Testka, what you experienced sounds to me like the bees giving your hive tool a warning. They will do it to your hands sometimes - land with a heavy thump. It can be quite intimidating, but doesn't necessarily mean that they will take it any further. Try slow, deliberate movements across the top of the hive and they may stay more calm.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin,
Yes it was intimidating. I came home that day and gave the hive tool a good old clean. I'll try to work slower like you suggest next time and see what happens.
Appreciated.

I suppose I should also stop using those powerful magnetic speakers as hive stands :)

Thanks Gavin,
Yes it was intimidating. I came home that day and gave the hive tool a good old clean. I'll try to work slower like you suggest next time and see what happens.
Appreciated.

Bloody hell, you wouldnt like my bees then!
As soon as the crown board is off they are up like predators, just waiting to pounce LOL

Depends where yo ar in the Uk as to the answer. Without that information it is difficult even to make a guess!
RAB

Could you tell us what you think the bees are doing and the differences across the country.

H

Colours on the hive tool may have an effect if it has a painted handle.

Agree with the magnetic theory (degausing) although I don't know how you demagnetise something once it's magnetised other than with a degausing wand.

What you cleaned it with may have had an effect (fairy liquid etc)

Some metals when damp give off an incredibly awful metallic stench. The dogs food bowl is stainless steel and when you wash it - nothing. We assumed the different design water bowl was also stainless steel but when you wash that it's really smells metalic and the smell stays on your hands. The same happens with one of the door handles - it's really pungent.

If you put the hive tool under your arm in your armpit when you needed to use both hands - something we all do without realising - you may have the lynx effect on the girls lol

Just some ideas hope it's helps.

PS - the magnetics thing is very interesting where bees are concerned. There is quite a bit about it online.

Obvious now that the location has been unpdated........

Essex Girls........... following the bling....:hurray:

I don't know how you demagnetise something once it's magnetised

Beat it with a hammer, heat it, put it in an a/c solenoid turn full on and slowly turn down the current to zero. Youchoose the appropriate method for the item concerned, of course.

Dishcoth, I was actually thinking that was your origin. Is unpdated a real word in your vocab?

Dishcoth, I was actually thinking that was your origin. Is unpdated a real word in your vocab?
Yes, it comes from the next county the same as "youchoose"

Dishcoth, I was actually thinking that was your origin.

Its a pity you are unable to follow your own repeated requests for perfection of description and location...

Last edited:
I think it must be back to your little hitler suit season. careful someone doesn't use a live round in one of your war games.

I think it must be back to your little hitler suit season. careful someone doesn't use a live round in one of your war games.

Do try to follow your own rules and get your facts right before you start to talk about something you know nothing about.....

Its a bit pathetic realy that you have nothing better to do than check up on forum users backrounds.......

Do you have files on everybody?

Last edited:
If there were traces of honey on the hive tool, then they might merely be showing the instinct they have to clear up any loose honey.

Herr Dishcloth,

Not you then?

Live in: Norwich
Re-enacting WWII since: Not stated
Re-enacts as: German General.....
(taken from the internet)

Which one are you? Not the pretty one with the dress, obviously?

Could you tell us what you think the bees are doing and the differences across the country.

H

do the bees in Scotland hum with a different accent to the bees in London and I imagine the Queen bee is posher in London lol

Last edited:
Obvious now that the location has been unpdated........

Essex Girls........... following the bling....:hurray:

I'd heard that bees may be attracted to shiny things - like spectacles. And someone told me that they always went for his wedding ring.

Latest posts

Back