Bees in the wood do no good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking to relocate 5 hives at the edge of a smallish wooded area looking out onto fields etc. but they will be under trees. Other than the occasional falling branch, can any more experienced berks think of reasons why i shouldn't proceed with this plan. They can face east or west, but I think west will be the easier location to access.

This berk has kept bees under trees since he started

I should probably open the discussion to experienced beeks aswell as berks!

Having done just about everything wrong in my first 6 weeks this berk recommends trees, it gives your swarms something to hang on - just out of reach...

I was told to hang an old wooly hat from a convenient branch of a nearby tree, and apparently swarms head for the hat. Mine have always gone for hedges.

@Sussex Bees Snap! Have you found my new Apiary I was at today! Its also a wooded area on the edge of open fields.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have around 7 acres of woodland, just got my first hive set up last week, but in time hoping for quite a few more, some will be facing out onto wild flower fields, although facing north, others will be within the woodland, I'm sure they will fly up out of the open canopy, and find pollen

Surely if feral or swarm bees choose a tree as the place to make a "natural" hive, it sounds like they're happy in trees?

Back