Bees in the wild

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victor, there are only about 2700 beekeepers with only three or four active commercially in the RoI. (Up 700 from last year so a lot are only starting.)

I can assure you, it's most likely if you go into a garden centre and there is not a beekeeper within a couple of miles, you'll be lucky to see a honeybee. Same on hedgerow forage.

Before I started keeping bees I looked at the local suitable forage and found no honeybees. Now I see mine all over the place. The nearest beek I know of is over eight miles away.

We treat for varroa without hesitation.

BTW, oxalic acid is not yet approved here but may be if other treatment are starting to fail. One to watch.

Perhaps you would like to come and see my bees VM? That's exactly how they behave, (without the casts), and however sceptical you may be they do just fine...

..I also know, note the word know of several "feral" colonies that are definitely occupied continuously.

...that's your cue for your usual comments.

Chris

B
uckfast from mainly A.m. ligurica (Italian), A.m. mellifera (English), A.m. mellifera (French), A.m. anatolica (Turkish) and A.m. cecropia (Greek), with a dollop of A.m. sahariensis and A.m. monticola (African).

It is ligustica and anatoliaca if you don't mind!

(sorry - I'm a real sticker for the spelling of scientific names)

There are many many "feral" colonies in the forests in Turkey. The reason? The very high swarming index of the local bees. Up to 90% of the colonies die out every year and surviving colonies can push out up to 12 swarms each. This behaviour enables the bees to "outrun" Varroa.
Interesting is it not?

Norton I going to stick my neck out here but as I understand matters the 'turkish' honeybee is A.m. Carnica. Varroa is a natural parasite to this honeybee and as such they can co-exist.

Problem arose when beekeepers brought A.m. Carnica into western europe where A.m. Millifera is defenceless.

Surely you can say something more intelligent than that?

A.m. Carnica's homeland is Slovenia,varroa did not originate from Slovenia and
AM Carnica did it now. And A M Anatoliaca is the Turkish honey bee,varroa never came from them either...do you have a clue where varroa comes from?

Jeez! What's with the level of aggression on this forum? We seriously need to requeen.

<A.m. Carnica's homeland is Slovenia,>

A.m. Carnica is much more than Slovenia, it covers the full Balkans.

It would have been nicer if you explained that Greece had it own honeybee without the insult but obviously this is not your style.

No matter what, varroa came from the east regardless of what bee it was and 'THAT' is the operative point.

Last edited:
I said AM Carninca's homeland is Slovenia,and now it covers more than the Balkans,it can be found all round the world in various locations,but varroa is not a natural parasite of this bee,and as such they can co exist like you thought.

The comment about needing to re-queen...

Very funny :biggrinjester:

Sam (adding little to the discussion but his one observation and enjoying all the passion displayed)

As Varroa has only been in the UK for 18 -20 years is it right to assume that the situation with bees is static? My understanding is that there are colonies of bees that are changing and becoming more hygienic. This change is reducing the number of varroa in a colony and so making it more viable. This is an example of evolution with varroa being the selection pressure.

My understanding also is that with science the word “Fact” is rarely used. There may be evidence to show that in an observation a hive would die out after four years. Evolution is after all still called the Evolution Theory. There may be mounting evidence to suggest it is fact, but it is only evidence to support that theory. That result from one or two observations may incorrectly be extrapolated out, but it does not become a science fact. The bees have successfully evolved and their evolution has not stopped. To take the pure line, our treatments of Thymol and Oxalic acid may also be selection pressure; we think we are helping, but in fact we are hindering.

Also the OP was about bees in the wild; it is not right to assume experiments on hived bees can just be transferred over to wild bees.

Probably but the Germans did the research and I mentioned it to show, dare I say prove, that the four year figure was valid, certainly at that time, in Germany.

The Germans have Bee Research Institutes in I believe each of their states, well funded and they do real research, what a shame we haven't followed their lead.

PH

Been watching a 'wild colony' next doo in the empty house now for at least 5 years. They live in the chimney and hopefully next year I'll put a 'ruchette' onto the terrace and try to lure a few over. These are really nice calm bees and always come and see what I'm doing in the garden. Quite dark in colour. What I'd give to get my hands on the honey in that chimney!

I note Poly that you avoid any recognition of the French study by INRA which shows colonies surviving for up and possibly beyond 15 years without treatment or manipulation. An objective control study by an organisation with no agenda that frequently throws up study results that "the French government didn't want to hear" even when commissioned by the State.

Chris

Latest posts

Back