Bees in France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect.

There are fundamental differences to both the market (i.e. France v's UK) and the product. Some notable differences for you:
  • Ebay only allows the following live animals for sale: live bait, composting worms, shellfish (for consumption), aquarium or pond fish (up to 5cm long), snails, tadpoles or similar creatures, hatching eggs for some animals are permitted. It's not possible to buy or sell bees on Ebay even if you wanted to.
    • leboncoin in France, does allow it though although preference is definately given to Professional vendors who have to provide the relevant documentation and are accredited with 'Pro' against their advertising - something people can filter on. The businesses are bona fide paid up professional beekeepers and unlike ebay, leboncoin is an accepted route to market in France - I've never come across a French person who says otherwise.
  • you can pretty much pick any category on Ebay UK and the results are all to be delivered from abroad it seems to me. And it's businesses selling.
    • on leboncoin the results are local (France) and will either be professional biased (animals, property) or private seller focused (e.g. clothing, )
  • As further indication of how it's used by professionals (local rather than Asia based as much of Ebay is I believe) is to simply look at property sales.
    • Ebay UK has 31 property for sale, 9 by online auction.
    • leboncoin meanwhile has 855,514 ads by registered estate agent and an additional 224,120 by private sellers. I believe it's the second largest source of properties in France.
It seems to me that Ebay UK is so full of possible crap it would be hard to find the decent stuff.

The point is it's a different 'product' to Ebay and is a respected (professional) advertising site here in France - you won't be able to appreciate that as you have no local knowledge.
I live in France, I have good local knowledge. The big companies ie Icko (bee company equivalent to Thornes) don’t sell on the le boncoin, they advertise and its well indicated“Sponcer” the others are not they could be running that from the back garden. I’ve had enough you asked for help and advice but you don’t take it. Good luck

I’m sorry to say you don’t buy bees cats or dogs on the Bon Coin!!! It’s the biggest scam ever. Buyer Beware
I secured my new bees from a very reputable breeder via Le Bon coin, he has a very good reputation and has a lot of satisfied customers. I, along with 10 other people all went to his bee yard to collect our nucs from him. It wasn’t something he had just knocked up either.

I live in France, I have good local knowledge. The big companies ie Icko (bee company equivalent to Thornes) don’t sell on the le boncoin, they advertise and its well indicated“Sponcer” the others are not they could be running that from the back garden. I’ve had enough you asked for help and advice but you don’t take it. Good luck
I've never asked for help. I'm not the OP.

Thornes only provide queens and colonies purchased from suppliers, as do Icko. I've no idea what you're referring to when you say 'Sponcer' or on what site you've seen it, however, professional registered bee keepers are indicated on leboncoin by the term 'Pro' against their advert. If you mean 'sponsorisé' as in the image below, then that means they are paying to advertise on the site - I'm sure if you looked up the siret / siren number for Icko they wouldn't be listed as a breeder of bees, just a reseller of bee equipment & livestock.

Personally I'd prefer to go to a registered local bee supplier / apiculteur any day rather than buying from a bee 'supermarket' such as Icko - i.e. go to the source rather than a reseller. That said, I've no doubt that Icko supplied colonies are fine... just personal preference.

1708882515220.png

I secured my new bees from a very reputable breeder via Le Bon coin, he has a very good reputation and has a lot of satisfied customers. I, along with 10 other people all went to his bee yard to collect our nucs from him. It wasn’t something he had just knocked up either.

...thank you ...

Latest posts

Back