Bees in a chicken run/ woodpeckers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We are looking into getting some hens and building them an enclosed run big enough to take a couple of hives too.

After struggling with our woodpecker cages this winter we thought that if the aviary was made out of mesh that was woodpecker proof I would have easier access to the hives.

So my question is what is the largest size mesh I can use that the woodpecker won't try to get through.bee-smillie

Thanks Cedar

Green woodies are big birds. For a nest box they recommend a 60mm diameter entrance. I'd reckon on two inch mesh for the chicken run.

The bees will be at one end of the run and the chickens piled into a huddle at the other end.

Not a starter I'm afraid in my experience. It would work for most of the time but if the bees get defensive, for example after losing a queen, or in thundery weather, they are likely to have a go at the hens. I've seen one of ours running across the grass with a comet tail of bees following it.

The bees will be at one end of the run and the chickens piled into a huddle at the other end.

Not a starter I'm afraid in my experience. It would work for most of the time but if the bees get defensive, for example after losing a queen, or in thundery weather, they are likely to have a go at the hens. I've seen one of ours running across the grass with a comet tail of bees following it.

:iagree:

At the end of a nectar flow when the bees have nothing better to do than patrol there home area, the chooks would be a prime target for bored bees

Thanks for the info Fatshark, Winker and Rooftops thanks for your replies I was under the impression that bees and chickens where really good together any suggestions on where I can get more info would be much appreciated.
Cedar.

Hi I actually fenced of my bees from the chickens and animals to ensure there were no issues and i also would not recommend putting them with no escape for the chooks. Overall they do get on but if bees do get grumpy chickens not going to come out on top.

They are good together, in the sense if you have a field or orchard and the bees and chickens share it they will keep out of each others' way - which would be difficult if both were confined to a coop.

The reason for wanting to put the chickens in a run rather than totaly free is we get regular visits from Mr Fox and just thought we could get doulble use out of it.
cedar

Good source of protein

I was told a story - cannot vouch for it - that the more cunning chickens soon work out that bees are a useful food source.

A beekeeper had moved his hive into the hen run, but they failed to thrive and became stroppy.

One day he happened to see what when on when he let the hens out early in the morning.

One old hen went straight to the hive and rapped on the alighting board. When the rather cold and dozy bees came out to see what was going on the hen made a good breakfast and then moved away on before the bees were warm enough to have a go at her.

Not surprisingly the bees were not friendly towards other hens that came close!

As I said, I cannot vouch for it, but be warned if you have any cunning old birds in your flock!

My chickens co-habited with my bees for 5 years (from 1 to 8 hives, up to 8 chickens). I usually shut then OUT of the chicken/bee area during inspection, but only to keep them out from under my feet. I don't think they were ever stung, but some did run quite quickly from a determined guard bee ;)

They loved the drone brood though!

Jc

I,m a relative newbe at beekeeping but have kept 2 hives in the hen run with no problems for the past 2 years.I found that a few of the smarter chooks get to know they can eat the dead bees and they love the dead drones.The only slight prob. is they like to roost and poop on top of the hives.During inspection the hens seem to sence with the extra buzzing to keep well away.They will eat any other flying insect that appears in the run but wont touch flying bees os wasps

Hi all, thanks for your advice, got a bit of rethinking to do now.
Cedar

Latest posts

Back