Bees have disappeared!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peadarg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello fellow beekeepers,
I am mystified. What I thought was a strong hive in February has now vanished. I uncovered this discovery today in my apiary. I hadn’t checked the colony since feb and today all that was left was a few dead bees on the floorboard. There was no signs of a laying worker, there was plenty of stores, no obvious signs of disease in the comb i.e. chalk brood, sac brood, dysentery etc. what could this be?
Thank you in advance,
Peter

:iagree:
I’ve lost one just like that a dozen bees on the frames a few on the floor. No stores though as the other colonies robbed it out.
My bees must be better brought up - they left the storers alone after a tentative nibble, even though I fully expected them to strip it out. One of the later nucs/colonies which I wasn't happy with at the last winter walkaround.
And no, it wasn't the ivy!!

My bees must be better brought up - they left the storers alone after a tentative nibble, even though I fully expected them to strip it out. One of the later nucs/colonies which I wasn't happy with at the last winter walkaround.
And no, it wasn't the ivy!!
A quick stroll through the apiary revealed a very active colony for the week before I found an empty box.
One sunny morning all of them were busy apart from this one. An ear to the side revealed no sound. So I took the top off. The “busy” colony was the others robbing it. I suspect one colony in particular which Is still nailed down. Looking in tomorrow.

As the circumstances were suspicious, would it be a good idea not to use the frames of stores and sterilize the hive and frames? All the other hives in the apiary appeared fine.

what could this be?
Back story would give clues, otherwise we're looking at the symptoms and not for the cause.

What I thought was a strong hive in February
1 What led you to believe that it was strong? Did you open and check, or just see bees flying? Number of boxes etc.
2 How was the hive set-up for winter?
3 Did you treat for varroa last year?

As the circumstances were suspicious, would it be a good idea not to use the frames of stores and sterilize the hive and frames? All the other hives in the apiary appeared fine.
Please post a couple of photos of the brood frames.

Back story would give clues, otherwise we're looking at the symptoms and not for the cause.

1 What led you to believe that it was strong? Did you open and check, or just see bees flying? Number of boxes etc.
2 How was the hive set-up for winter?
3 Did you treat for varroa last year?
the colony was strong going into the winter. Yes they were treated for varroa in autumn and an oxalic acid treatment (vapor) at the start of the new year. Hive entrance was reduced and mouse guard fitted for winter setup. Today there was no brood what so ever. During oxalic acid treatment I got the sense the colony was strong plus I looked in the feed hole in feb and that too gave me the feeling the colony was strong.
Thank you

gave me the feeling the colony was strong.
If the queen failed during autumn or winter the colony would survive on winter bees, which would by now have expired. Lack of brood would tally with a dud queen.

Bees gone? I saw this once one spring in four out of six colonies on a rooftop. Not one bee nor brood, yet stores on board. Couldn't locate a reasonable explanation.

Had it happen once in the early 90's just ..... empty hive one day. Had been into them the day before! Obviously upset them somehow!

Thank you all very much for your advice. Enjoy the season ahead

Latest posts

Back