Bees drinking water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Every place where there is water my bees are drinking. From plant pots, huge pond, bird feeders, garden taps and even in the boiler flue and outside tap. Why so much water being drunk? and why so many taking it?
Also whats the fascination with privet hedges? Buzzing around my privet hedges and all down the street on privet too? Any ideas on both questions?

Every place where there is water my bees are drinking. From plant pots, huge pond, bird feeders, garden taps and even in the boiler flue and outside tap. Why so much water being drunk? and why so many taking it?
Also whats the fascination with privet hedges? Buzzing around my privet hedges and all down the street on privet too? Any ideas on both questions?

Brood... The process needs water to create the feed and the high humidity micro-climate in the cells.

They are probably collecting gum or resin for propolis from new growth on the Privet. They are also busy doing this in my Laurel hedge at the moment.

I new they need it for these processes but never noticed the amount of bees doing it before. They are everywhere and in really large numbers. Also I didnt know about privet. The conifers have a few bees which I know they get propolis from but the Privets have much more of an attraction

I new they need it for these processes but never noticed the amount of bees doing it before. They are everywhere and in really large numbers. Also I didnt know about privet. The conifers have a few bees which I know they get propolis from but the Privets have much more of an attraction

wooden hive? top ventilation?

Bees feed on honey. Larvae are fed on nectar (via nurse bees). The main difference is the moisture content.

Larvae have a high water content and require their surfaces to be moist/wet at all times, so brood nest must be high humidity. The sums have to add up, so they simply have to collect water. A few days of very low temperatures and all that developing brood might just stop developing if the bees cannot fly for nectar or water. Simple as that.

Bees feed on honey. Larvae are fed on nectar (via nurse bees). The main difference is the moisture content.

Larvae have a high water content and require their surfaces to be moist/wet at all times, so brood nest must be high humidity. The sums have to add up, so they simply have to collect water. A few days of very low temperatures and all that developing brood might just stop developing if the bees cannot fly for nectar or water. Simple as that.

Hi o9o. Can you expand on 'bees feed on honey' please? Do they feed on honey exclusively? Or sometimes feed on nectar? Do they ever feed on pollen as adults? Do the nurse bees feed nectar but not ON nectar? Sorry but I like to know all the ins & outs and variables. Cheers

When bees switch to water collection it's a sure sign the flow isn't happening, fresh nectar has all the water they need and a switch in foraging behaviour often happens when the weather turns or the ground dries up and the nectar becomes scarce.

When bees switch to water collection it's a sure sign the flow isn't happening, fresh nectar has all the water they need and a switch in foraging behaviour often happens when the weather turns or the ground dries up and the nectar becomes scarce.

That's interesting as the water collection is far less now and a flow is defiantly on

Latest posts

Back