Health and safety

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
For about eight years I've had hives on my air raid shelter roof, about eight feet up and accessed by a ladder. It didn't feel unsafe. On one side there's a huge cupressus, and the other there was a Wendy house, and behind that soft soil covered in brambles. To the rear was a privet hedge. So the only way to fall and suffer serious damage was at the front, and that was on to a flower bed.
But both my wife and my bee buddy's wife worried, and getting full supers down was a chore.
The whole garden was overgrown anyway, and the lawn in a dreadful state, so we decided to redo it.
The Wendy house and the brambles went. A patio was put in their place. And now, at great expense, the crowning glory, guard rails and steps.

Attachments

• D8862531-7887-47D9-A7FA-1744672ACE04.jpeg
    D8862531-7887-47D9-A7FA-1744672ACE04.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 159
For about eight years I've had hives on my air raid shelter roof, about eight feet up and accessed by a ladder. It didn't feel unsafe. On one side there's a huge cupressus, and the other there was a Wendy house, and behind that soft soil covered in brambles. To the rear was a privet hedge. So the only way to fall and suffer serious damage was at the front, and that was on to a flower bed.
But both my wife and my bee buddy's wife worried, and getting full supers down was a chore.
The whole garden was overgrown anyway, and the lawn in a dreadful state, so we decided to redo it.
The Wendy house and the brambles went. A patio was put in their place. And now, at great expense, the crowning glory, guard rails and steps.
Hi Thorn, firstly, Id like to say well done, Looks great and you've spent money to install a professional set of steps and hand rails. Due to this you have probably already considered what I'm discussing next but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case.
I notice this is on a flat roof, hopefully you have calculated the imposed load per m2?
Quick rough calculations,I think ? x National hive brood plus 3 supers around 80kg?
all these hives along with 1 or 2 beekeepers will be quite a weight on an old flat roof. You have probably had this weight on the roof for years with no issues.
As I say hopefully you have already looked at the load bearing aspects but I've seen and had to deal with the aftermath when the roof decided enough was enough. Regards, Andy

If it’s an air raid shelter won’t it be reinforced concrete?
Yep, absolute agree, you would think so, however they did use many different buildings and class them as air raid shelters, not specifically built to " bomb proof" standards and 60 years or so have passed, so plenty time for damage, weakness to set in. it's just when " working at height" and that's what they are doing it's always better to be sure and check the structural strength.

Hi Thorn, firstly, Id like to say well done, Looks great and you've spent money to install a professional set of steps and hand rails. Due to this you have probably already considered what I'm discussing next but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case.
I notice this is on a flat roof, hopefully you have calculated the imposed load per m2?
Quick rough calculations,I think ? x National hive brood plus 3 supers around 80kg?
all these hives along with 1 or 2 beekeepers will be quite a weight on an old flat roof. You have probably had this weight on the roof for years with no issues.
As I say hopefully you have already looked at the load bearing aspects but I've seen and had to deal with the aftermath when the roof decided enough was enough. Regards, Andy
As Dani says, it's an air raid shelter, thick and reinforced.

Really great job ... Perhaps add a hoist, a crane or a block and tackle to get those heavy supers down to ground level ? Speaking as someone who has just damaged his back .. the majority of industrial injuries are the result of falling or MANUAL HANDLING... You are half way there with your current set up. :)

When you said air raid shelter, I initially assumed you meant Anderson Shelter and was wondering how you balanced the hives on there.
A picture saves a thousand words!

Latest posts

Back