bees covered in orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
some of my bees have been coming in covered with orange pollen for the last week. I know that its suppose to be dandelion, but as far as I can see its completely finished around here. Any other suggestions.

Laburnum trees?

Buttercups? The fields here are yellow with them.

Buttercups sounds very plausible. My hives have all had these vivid orange payloads recently and I hadn't twigged that there are several acres of paddock nearby covered in the things :D

great pics Keith, yes, it is unusual and like with Himalayan Balsam in autumn/

re buttercups above - it's not querying the pollen load but the covering on the bees backs

great pics Keith, yes, it is unusual and like with Himalayan Balsam in autumn/

re buttercups above - it's not querying the pollen load but the covering on the bees backs

can't help with the pollen i'm afraid, but just wanted to say fabulous pics, what camera/lens do you use to get your pics

That abdominal "V" is very distinctive: but a look at photos of bees on buttercups (we have a whole field of our own which the bees ignore) shows them working round the edge in a circles (as they do with geraniums)...so no pollen on the back...

...but not dandelion which is an all-over dusting and clings to the wing roots.

Still the right colour for dandelion (haven't seen it anywhere apart from the pollen baskes on my bees- laburnum about the same colour. ut quite afew flowers of that colour

I've had the same here, and again the main flush of dandelion has past. However there seems to be a better flowering from broom this year. I was wondering if that is more likely than buttercup?

I am seeing the same coloured pollen in a couple of my apiaries and foragers similarly coated with the pollen. It is not the colour I normally associate with Whin/Gorse but there is a lot of Whin in flower in the locality of those apiaries and had wondered if that was the source..... Will have to investigate if i get a chance. has anyone else any suggestions as to the potential pollen source?

My brothers bees are the same and he said, he seen them working the buttercup and they are covered in pollen. He is going to try and get a photo this evening

My brothers bees are the same and he said, he seen them working the buttercup and they are covered in pollen. He is going to try and get a photo this evening

Sounds great keith we are relying on you as always. Don't forget about the coffee table book for Xmas for all the hobbists!

My bees are the same and there is a huge field of oil seed rape nearby so I assumed it was from there, they only started turning yellow when the oil seed rape came into flower.

Just a suggestion as new to this.

Latest posts

Back