Bees clustered around entrance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,not worthy
Bees clustered on hive entrance, we are part way through doing a demaree, the top Brood box is sitting on the demaree board with no vents in it, a small entrance there are 3 capped Q cells in it. Do you think its just to cool off the hive as there are bees fanning at the entrance. we Know there was no queen last time we looked 5 days ago, could they be working up to swarm even though as far as we know there is no Queen.

Thanks

Lots of colonies are doing this at the moment to keep cool. Have a closer look for miniature beers and soleros

It's clearly THE place to bee...

Looks like the pub doesn't allow smoking and they have all gone outside for a puff!

Common sight, ours have done this many times when it's hot.

Mine hold union meetings, discussing whether to strike for the Olympics..:lurk5:

Lots of colonies are doing this at the moment to keep cool. Have a closer look for miniature beers and soleros

beers for the older foragers and soleros for the young nurse bees of course :biggrinjester:

you Guys - this is supposed to bee a serious forum to inform , educate and elucidate; this is not a place for fun............ but I think it's great! Thanks.
P.

Last edited:
Hi all,not worthy
Bees clustered on hive entrance, we are part way through doing a demaree, the top Brood box is sitting on the demaree board with no vents in it, a small entrance there are 3 capped Q cells in it. Do you think its just to cool off the hive as there are bees fanning at the entrance. we Know there was no queen last time we looked 5 days ago, could they be working up to swarm even though as far as we know there is no Queen.

Yes, too hot.
The forecast being for cooler weather, I wouldn't think that you should bother over much.

Interesting question as to the best action if it were to stay hot. Enlarging the entrance would probably be simplest. I rather like the idea of a second swarm board, upside down, as a crown board but giving a second (top) entrance - but I strongly doubt its needed -- unless it gets rather hotter.

They may be unhappy, but they won't swarm without a queen (a virgin would do) ... so, when were those QCs capped?

Yes, too hot.
The forecast being for cooler weather, I wouldn't think that you should bother over much.

Interesting question as to the best action if it were to stay hot. Enlarging the entrance would probably be simplest. I rather like the idea of a second swarm board, upside down, as a crown board but giving a second (top) entrance - but I strongly doubt its needed -- unless it gets rather hotter.

They may be unhappy, but they won't swarm without a queen (a virgin would do) ... so, when were those QCs capped?

:iagree:Gets my vote.
It's hot.
How hot?
Damn hot

Thanks for the reassurance, and the humour like it.

Latest posts

Back