Bees Cleaning up Super Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I'm getting to the point of my first honey-harvest and busy getting all my ducks in a row. One of the things I've read about is that after extracting the honey from the frames the 'wet' frames can be put back to the bees (along with the cappings etc) for them to clean-up and re-use the remaining honey and cappings.

So this may seem a silly question, but does that mean that one simply re-assembles the old super with the old wet frames and pops the the whole thing back into the hive for the to work on? What about the cappings? Shall I just pop them on a dish of some sort on top of the clearer board but under the roof (WBC hive)?

Yes. Just put the supers or your cappings above the crown board and the bees will clean them for you

Clearer board or at least the porter escapes ( which are an abomination) need removing and crown board put on with a piece of wood etc, almost closing off the holes. The wet super is then put on top of this. The bees then think it is outside the hive and rob the honey taking down into a honey super.
I put my cap pings into an English feeder but any container will do.
Sometimes I do not bother cleaning the wet supers, just pop them back on, if the flow is on going

If there is a flow on they will just refill them.
Put them on in the evening or first thing in the morning before bees are out and about.

Back