Bees are philistines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry G

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2. No, 3. No, 2 again
So, while at my son's house today I sneakily treated my handsome and elegant beard to a couple of wafts of his expensive aftershave. A little later, back home and with the temperature nudging 20 degs, I decided to inspect the insects. Tell you what - bees have no feelings for the finer things of life, in particular bergamot and vetiver with the merest hint of citrus. They came at me like a black cloud of Millwall supporters, snarling and growling and waving their tiny fists. How two of them got into my hood I have no idea but they certainly did and whirled round and round like furry electrons while I calmly shrieked and ran up and down the lawn flapping my arms and trying to rip my hood off. Oddly enough those two didn't sting me, but there must have been 15 or more stingers, with attendant viscera, attached to the outside of my hood. So it's clearly true that bees really do hate perfume. Or maybe mine just have a thing about Paco Rabanne?

Footnote: today's lesson follows on from last weeks, which was: if you have top bee space don't put your crown board on upside down unless you want to make lots of candles and lip balm.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you have a beard why the need for aftershave??

Never wear ANY perfume /smelly before going near bees. 1st lesson.
Also don't eat a banana before opening hive.. deep doodoo then.

No beards elegant, IMO.. just hiding something :bigear: Often just looks grubby.
But what do I know, just a little female

Last edited:
Teach you not to steal your son's after shave........

I want to criticise your masculinity for wearing perfume but I haven't the heart after reading your brilliant description of calmly shrieking and flapping. Lol

Pardon my ignorance, but if you have a beard why the need for aftershave??

Actually it was cologne, sorry. I was just balancing the rugged masculinity of the beard with a hint of metrosexual fragrance.

No beards elegant, IMO.. just hiding something :bigear: Often just looks grubby.

Couldn't agree more, they're horrible things, but as a new beekeeper I thought a beard was obligatory, along with the chewed fingernails and 100 mile stare.

So, while at my son's house today I sneakily treated my handsome and elegant beard to a couple of wafts of his expensive aftershave. A little later, back home and with the temperature nudging 20 degs, I decided to inspect the insects. Tell you what - bees have no feelings for the finer things of life, in particular bergamot and vetiver with the merest hint of citrus. They came at me like a black cloud of Millwall supporters, snarling and growling and waving their tiny fists. How two of them got into my hood I have no idea but they certainly did and whirled round and round like furry electrons while I calmly shrieked and ran up and down the lawn flapping my arms and trying to rip my hood off. Oddly enough those two didn't sting me, but there must have been 15 or more stingers, with attendant viscera, attached to the outside of my hood. So it's clearly true that bees really do hate perfume. Or maybe mine just have a thing about Paco Rabanne?

Footnote: today's lesson follows on from last weeks, which was: if you have top bee space don't put your crown board on upside down unless you want to make lots of candles and lip balm.

Don't think you can get away with a glass of wine either! You were extremely lucky there.

Jude Law with designer stubble before he lost it up top. Not all men can carry it off though.

No beards elegant, IMO.

So I take it you shave yours then? :D

Had a beard since I was 23, first no choice due to an 'operational injury' then, 'cos it makes sense at sea - none of this effette designer stubble nonsense which takes more time and effort to maintain than being clean shaven. Just neatly trimmed once a week - a proper man's beard.

Brilliant description!

Have you thought of writing things to earn a crust or two, it might be more lucrative than beekeeping.

Must be a male thing :)
I'm sat here stroking my beard ( quite white these days) pondering on why my fragrant wife can help me with the bees without attracting attention from , nor inciting the little darlings into the attack mode .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Must be a male thing :)
I'm sat here stroking my beard ( quite white these days) pondering on why my fragrant wife can help me with the bees without attracting attention from , nor inciting the little darlings into the attack mode .
VM

What have you got that I ain't other than a beard? My wife hates my bees cos' they sometimes chase her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have you got that I ain't other than a beard? My wife hates my bees cos' they sometimes chase her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah!,
You've got to have a heart attack ! This brings the maternal instinct to the fore :D
First she said , I'll help you with the bees but lift that bale tow that barge is as far at it goes!
Yea right!. Now she points out this that and the other plus what I ought to be doing about it :)
Once we leave the apiary she switches off totally, having far better things to think about than bees !
You can't have it both ways. Stay as you are :))))
VM

Latest posts

Back