Bees and water.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukis-dad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

I have two National hives and have a problem with the bees going into my neighbours garden pool which upsets him and his wife.
They can't enjoy their garden with dozens of bees flying around.

I am considering selling my hives unless I can find a way of stopping them.

I don't want a pond but does anyone have any ideas how I can supply water to them and deter them from my neighbour?

I do have a small bird bath but they seem to ignore it.
Thanks
Brian

Is it a pool as in swimming, or a pond as in a garden feature?

If a pond, then why aren't they delighted it's attracting 'wildlife'? Besides, I'm sure they are not all around the edges but have selected a spot for themselves.

If swimming, I would have thought and additives would be unattractive to honeybees.

Funny thing about honeybees, the like 'dirtyish' water. However they also like a consistent source of water so a birdbath always has to contain water. You could always try a handful of sugar in it.

I wouldn't get rid of the bees until it becomes an actual problem with stinging rather than a perceived risk.

A small entrance feeder with only water might be worth a try.

Did you give your neighbours a 'sweetener' as in some honey?

Hope they're not also scared of spiders.

Last edited:
Hi

I ... have a problem with the bees going into my neighbours garden pool which upsets him and his wife.
They can't enjoy their garden with dozens of bees flying around.

I am considering selling my hives unless I can find a way of stopping them.

I don't want a pond but does anyone have any ideas how I can supply water to them and deter them from my neighbour?

I do have a small bird bath but they seem to ignore it.

What "pool" have the neighbours got? The bees like something about it, and you have to do better! I'm not sure you can deter them from visiting the neighbour, you have to offer something more attractive ...

I have the impression that bees quite like 'smelly' water ... they seem to find that more easily than the freshest of the fresh.
And they don't want to swim in it - they like boggy bits. Oasis (the green version, not the brown dried flowers stuff) acts a bit like a sponge, so the bees can drink safely.
But a few handfuls of peat does the same job, a bit more naturally.
You could try a washing-up bowl full of peat, and top up the water when you refill the bird bath (or use runoff from a greenhouse or whatever).
If they adopt it, you could then replace it with a more attractive 'bird-bath' style container for the wet peat (in the same location!)
And to train them to use it, perfume it. Lemongrass oil? Thymol?

Would it help if the neighbours pool was netted over (with a very fine mesh - to make it much less convenient for the bees) for a few days while you were introducing a more attractive and easily-available alternative?
(Ponds are often netted at this time of year to keep leaves out, but you want a smaller than usual mesh ... )

I agree. I put a block of oasis in a paint roller tray. It is safer for the bees than my fish pond. About 4 metres from both my garden hives and they don't bother the neighbours. The idea came from this forum in the spring.

I have all manner of water supplies for my bees including a pond but they still prefer the folks ornamental pond down the lane where they go in their thousands. Problem is they know what they like and will travel farther to get it.
Next year I suppose I'll have to try and replicate what they have in every detail, or as near as possible because they drive the people that live there crazy.

Sorry, not much help unless you do the same and copy theirs.

Chris

I don't think you will be able to change their mind about where they want to drink, I have tried many things, but they always go back to the original source.
You could try draining their pool one night...

Brian.

Bees like dirty water and sweeties...

So.

Can I suggest you provide some slightly sweetened water via a peat block or some peat based compost. They like the peat as it is dark and thus warmer, so continue that line of thought and put it in a sunny spot.

Sweet warm water should beat in the bees opinion pure water from a pool.. Ponder the pool, is it sunny, is it dirty, if so... get on with it. If not report back and lets have another think?

PH

I provide a nice clean water supply for my hives but they prefer stagnant water from an upturned dustbin lid

luckily I dont have any neighbours to complain

I have three ponds, water butts and a stream and have only witnessed bees taking water from mossy areas, the base from a garden parasol (same bee, just one) and rainwater collected on a bag of compost.

Today I saw my bees take great delight in drinking from the finger/hand holes in the sewer man hole cover. Strange when there is a pond near them

RosieMc said:
Today I saw my bees take great delight in drinking from the finger/hand holes in the sewer man hole cover. Strange when there is a pond near them
That was my old dog's favourite spot, I was forever trying to stop him drinking from the inspection cover.

You'll never stop them but they may go somewhere different next year! Water in the sun. They love it warm!

Thank you for your replies.
My neighbours pond is on the other side of the fence from the hives. The fence is about 12 foot high. His pond is small and was designed with wildlife in mind - it has a shallow side. It is obviously a good design.
I think I will try a peat filled container and see what happens.
Brian

Latest posts

Back