Bee's and angle grinders ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this is a slightly strange question but my hives are kept outside a blacksmith friends workshop. Today when using an angle grinder outside some of the bees chased him out of the yard. Is it the sparks, the smokey smell the noise ?

any ideas

Thanks Dave

I know this is a slightly strange question but my hives are kept outside a blacksmith friends workshop. Today when using an angle grinder outside some of the bees chased him out of the yard. Is it the sparks, the smokey smell the noise ?

any ideas

Thanks Dave

I would say the noise, mine don't like the lawn mower getting close.

sharon

Probably the frequency of vibration. I had a small electric mower which one colony took exception to. Dozens left the hive and attacked the plastic cover. Not every hive, just one. The larger, slower petrol mower was no problem.

Vibration.

I strim around the bees - no problems. Let the strimmer line touch the leg of a hive base - for more than a second - and a few bees emerge. Do it twice and a lot of bees emerge..

was grinding beside mine 2 weeks ago. less than 20 ft from the entrance no problem last week i was grinding again and they didnt like it and paid me a visit.

it was only a small grinder tho.

any ideas

Thanks Dave

Could be the smell -
These blacksmiths can get a bit ripe at times working next to a hot fire all day

With me it was a faulty hearing aid - must have been giving out a high pitched noise that I couldn't hear. Three stings on the left side of my neck in one inspection. Should have gone to Specsavers- so I did and got the speaker end replaced. Since then I can hear them coming.

Latest posts

Back