Beer Barrels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afermo - a Nat brood or super wouldn't fit in these 9 gallon kegs (assuming that I am on the same wavelength as HP). Besides, you would have to cut an end from them, which is a challenge in itself (I too was a home-brewer).

Hedgerow... just to bring you up to date..

Channel 16 is still in use.... but most ships radios now have a selective calling system, where you can punch in a "ships" telephone number. (MSSI)

16 can still be used to call other ships or coastguard etc as befor... but we now have a magic RED button to use in cases of distress, with 7 pre selected events including MOB, fire, medical, immanent sinking, and piracy attack!

Of course the old voice "mayday" and "pan pan" are still responded to, but the coastguard only has a "general listening watch"

Nothing to do with barrells or beekeeping... so my profuse appologies to those who belong to the "forum police"!

thanks for that its been a million years since i last used a vhf radio let alone permission of the skipper to use the short wave set.

i had to do a pan pan once in the red sea as the bilge pump packed in and we started to ship water badly and i also had to do a pan pan in the bay of biscay once, but the storm was so bad even the coast gaurd could not help us untill the morning when she blew her self out. now that truely is amazing to be in, force 10 plus and the middle of biscay its a frightening place to be, fun afterwards but not nice at the time.

i was listening to the shipping forecast at 1am today on the way home and there is some massively bad weather out there this week, gales and storm and even a severe storm warnings were going out.

just one last point does anyone still do the stupid noises and voices on the vhf late at night, i can remeber one person every time they sailed up to the suez they used to say phillapino monkey all the time ??

i used to sleep in the bridge on the one boat it was great fun listening to the conversations on 16 and the other channels

Long room Long room Long room this is diver one over....

Diver one this is Longroom over....

Long room can you see the big grey ship heading straight for the breakwater? over..

diver one ... err yes.. Longroom out

ALL SHIPS ALL SHIPS ALL SHIPS this is Long Room !!!!!!!!!.........................

Fun in Plymouth Sound... chanel 14 last summer!

Are these depressurised, Pete? They can be dangerous things, otherwise.

At a station in the middle east I had a Britannia call on HF CW.
XXX XXX XXX DE MPLON MPLON MPLON - ENGINE FAILURE STARBORD OUTER, POSN . . .

MPLON MPLON MPLON DE GFQ GFQ GFQ R R R +

Copying like a good one while half the rest of the watch were sat on the bench next to the receiver oblivious of the drama unfolding while they screeched and laughed over the jokes they were telling at the time.

I didn't feel that I had the time to tell them to shut up, but just got on with it.

The aircraft landed safely at Khormaksar, Aden 45 minutes later. The jockey was not a happy man that day. Just as well it wasn't voice, with the cackle going on in the room.

Today G0PAI

If this was 20 years ago at the time of the Troubles, MI5 would be interested in anyone buying aluminium barrels....

Thanks HP. I'll put a raincheck on that. If I'm round your way, where are you?

As for cutting barrels down, pretty certain my angle grinder and various disks would walk it had the barrels been big enough.

Latest posts

Back