Beekeeping dress - have we got it wrong ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
Today was hard work for me - a lot of hive manipulations.
And although it wasn't all that hot, temperature-wise, I had to change t-shirts and take cold showers several times to keep going. A lot of sweat gradually found it's way into my wellies, and I was squelching loudly by the end of the day. Working with hundreds of hives just doesn't bear thinking about.

Something is seriously wrong with the kit I'm using: contrast western-style dress with the all-encompassing dress that muslim women wear - you know - the head-to-toe covering with just a mesh grid to see out of. Ideal beekeeping garb, methinks.

There's an example of what I'm talking about on Ebay #310669583819 - a Full Length Burka with all the head bits. The dress 'as is' only costs £20 , and they are offering to make them to order.

Now women wear this kind of dress all the time in Egypt and Sudan - places which have seriously high temperatures. My guess is that the looseness of the material adds to the ventilation considerably, as opposed to the tailored-fit of western dress.

So - does the basic idea have any merit ?

LJ

Somebody might take a fancy to you maybe? Risky.

How do you block off the hole at the bottom, bees climb up!

your warm in a bee suit and want to wear one of those lol

What do you wear under your bee suit?
If it is really hot I just wear t shirt and shorts, take a water spray with me and spray through the veil.
How many hives are you working?

Be grateful it is hot enough to sweat....last year I barely worked one up!

How do you block off the hole at the bottom, bees climb up!

Ok - I'm not suggesting that this type of dress be worn 'off the peg', so to speak - there would have to be modifications made (hence my comment about the vendors willingness to modify such garments). Could be an interesting design exercise ?

LJ

Bin your Wellies and buy some breathable hiking boots, bees don't like black, ice packs in your bee suit pockets

lol you need to try working in chainsaw trousers in this heat

That's just what I was thinking. I have just spent the last week climbing trees in those trousers. I would swap it for a bee suit anyday. Chainsaw trousers are insane, until you try and cut your thigh I imagine.

That's just what I was thinking. I have just spent the last week climbing trees in those trousers. I would swap it for a bee suit anyday. Chainsaw trousers are insane, until you try and cut your thigh I imagine.

I love mine in the winter and hate them in the summer. I make the lads in my team take regular water breaks.

I am very relieved I moved my little apiary last winter, it was in full sun and now its under some trees, and gets dappled sunlight, and its cooler.

Just wear a BB Wear vest type veil when needed, shirt sleeves rolled up, weather is lovely and so are the bees.

Last edited:
Back