Beehaus divider board bee tight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I just inspected my bees - I have one colony in one half of a beehaus. I noticed that in the empty side that there were about 50 bees. Does this mean that if I do ever have another colony in the other half that I'd need to somehow make the divider board bee tight?

Also over the winter would it be sensible to put some insulation up against the divider board to prevent heat loss?

Thank you 🐝

You would helped if you could obtain Robin Dartingtons manual on running a Dartington hive.

Were these live bees or dead bees?

But yes if one sideways demarees the colony for increase or A/S's it, the two halves need to be isolated.

The usual practice with a Dartington for me is to enclose the cluster amid-ships. Insulation behind the back divider is good and my front dividers are insulated but not full depth so they can reach the exit/entry slot.

This makes it a simple 'add a frame to the front' as spring expansion takes place (and behind if need be). No need to disturb all the frames.

I do believe the Beehaus can change shape with bright sunshine on one side only. I belive they tried to make it better by making a slot for the divider on later models, but that rather hampers a colony expanding beyond the mid point. They just didn't get it right, somehow.

As an aside, have you thought about filling those cavernous sideswith insulation to avoid convecting and so heat losses across the cavity? Or filling the coverboards with polystyrene prills to stop the same losses? Probably simpler to swap the cover boards for something better? Are all your twin-wall plastic sheets end sealed?

I never was a particular fan of the plastic Dartington. The timber ones are far better IMO.

RAB

Thank you for your quick reply.
I've got my eye out for a copy of the book, they sometimes seem to come up for sale for over £100 which is a little pricey.

The bees in the empty side are mainly live, with perhaps 10 dead ones. The live ones seemed to be concentrating on removing the dead ones.

I haven't thought about the extra insulation you mentioned, but certainly will now. The ends of all the parts do seem to be sealed up, so getting into the right places will need some thought.

My hive does have the central slot for the dividing board, which does seem a bit limiting. I like your way of keeping the colony in the middle.

Perhaps I'll put some measuring points on the side to see if your suspicions about expansion are correct - I'll have to look out my Verneer calipers!

Thank you for your quick reply.
I've got my eye out for a copy of the book, they sometimes seem to come up for sale for over £100 which is a little pricey.

The bees in the empty side are mainly live, with perhaps 10 dead ones. The live ones seemed to be concentrating on removing the dead ones.

I haven't thought about the extra insulation you mentioned, but certainly will now. The ends of all the parts do seem to be sealed up, so getting into the right places will need some thought.

My hive does have the central slot for the dividing board, which does seem a bit limiting. I like your way of keeping the colony in the middle.

Perhaps I'll put some measuring points on the side to see if your suspicions about expansion are correct - I'll have to look out my Verneer calipers!

Hi, my divider board seems to be bee-tight (it's the newer type one with the black pull out section for re-combining purposes). something worth checking - the legs can splay and create a gap where the leg bar meets the hive body. Check this on the empty side, as bee's may be getting in that way. also check the crown boards are on properly as they can squeeze under.

Gary

Hi, my divider board seems to be bee-tight (it's the newer type one with the black pull out section for re-combining purposes). something worth checking - the legs can splay and create a gap where the leg bar meets the hive body. Check this on the empty side, as bee's may be getting in that way. also check the crown boards are on properly as they can squeeze under.

Gary

Mine is the newer one too- I will have a really good look at it next time I open up. It only has a smallish colony on one side, so really should not be splaying under that should it? I have had to fiddle around with the crown boards to get them into place properly properly - I guess it is something that I will get used to!

A quick update incase it helps someone...
When I opened up and watched I could see bees coming under the central divider! I've taped it up now, so I hope that problem is solved.

Latest posts

Back