bee water feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
looking for a way of using a 20l plastic drum to feed bees , any ideas

Fill with rocks and shingle.

Fill with water to just below the shingle.

Voila.

It the base off to about 6” deep and place it out in the open, throw something like a bit of screwed up scaffold netting in to stop the bees drowning and leave it to go green & slimey then the bees will drink it.
I did put clean water out last year but they ignored it in preference of muddy puddles and damp horse manure

Fill it with sand. My landlord has had building work and walling going on for years and there's a mound of sand constantly being topped up, I find hundreds of bees filling up from the base of this mound.

Leave it in a sunny spot. They prefer warm water
E

Not my idea and untested
Drill holes all round two or three inches below the rim (to stop it overflowing) and fill with water.
Break up some thin flat pieces of polystyrene over the surface as pontoons for the bees to sit on while they drink

Plenty of sources yes but sometimes wrong source!!!! Had a couple of times/sites when neighbours have complained about bees around ponds and patios, also once bees ending up in school swimming pool. I put out a few alternatives to reduce numbers. And then of course blamed the bloke down the road or wild bees......a bit like when the a swarm interrupts some family bbq:reddevil:

about 20 were drinking from the top of a 205lt barrel ,put some more in as it dried out and 4 were back in 5 minutes , so just felt a bit sorry for them, but there is plenty of dew at the moment

The closer their water source, the better at the moment. Brooding like the clappers here, pollen pouring in. The majority of colonies have overwintered with huge numbers of bees and will easily cover any area of comb being laid up. A high proportion of winters stores here consist of ivy honey, and they need to dilute it. I've put water stations out at all my sites and they are all being used enthusiastically. Moss on water seems to work best. Buckets with tiles/sticks etc in them still allow some of them to drown. Naturally, muddy puddles are preferred, but they are drying up quickly. Normal routine seems to be to take dew during the first part of the morning, then those who aren't foraging snowdrop/hazel etc start on the water stations. Another worryingly early start to the season, lets just hope this is Spring, rather than a "blip"! At least this time they will have had enough time for a full brood cycle.

colonies have overwintered with huge numbers of bees lets just hope this is Spring, rather than a "blip"! .

Old bees, which will soon die off so the colonies will contract then grow naturally.
As for 'spring' it's mid February, this is just the normal little peak which we see most years. soon be back to normal conditions.

Old bees, which will soon die off so the colonies will contract then grow naturally.
As for 'spring' it's mid February, this is just the normal little peak which we see most years. soon be back to normal conditions.

Old bees- you’re joking? I thought the queens had been in full lay all winter.

Let’s hope this horrid warm stuff goes away and we get our traditional snow until June.

It is heartwarming to be reminded of the camaraderie, positive assumption and optimism that abounds this forum.

When I encouraged some of my colonies to brood early, I used an entrance feeder with sugar solution, initially, then only topped up with water. It worked.

When I encouraged some of my colonies to brood early, I used an entrance feeder with sugar solution, initially, then only topped up with water. It worked.

Makes sense doesn't it ? At the start of the early nectar in late winter or very early spring there is very little available, the flows don't last long and sugar content is low. A light sugar syrup 1:1 or 1:2 ratio is exactly what you want to give the bees to promote brood rearing, comb building or drawing of foundation.

Latest posts

Back