Bee Swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTimmy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

This morning, I was downstairs in the living room and I kept on hearing this buzzing sound. I went outside to investigate and here is what I have found!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8vIb_suEAA&feature=youtu.be

For some time, I have been interested in beekeeping and this may as well be a great chance for me!!

I don't think for a start they are wasps, certainly not bumble bees, so that leaves it to?

I live in Birmingham, so maybe someone might be interested in collecting them, but I'll have to make up my mind about whether I should keep them or not.

But still, do these look like honey bees? Any advice or comments? Thank you

Thank you again for your time,
Tim Timmy

Sorry they move and look like wasps to me.

Too dark to see the colour for me. Try looking on the BBKA site for pictures that may be usefull for you to tell. Alternatively spread some jam on a piece of wood to find out if they go for it. Wasps will bees generally don't unless they are starving. Wasps have a bright yellow stripe alternating with black all the way to the tail. If they are wasps local environmental health officer will identify and destroy as they are right next to your door. There may be a charge.

The wasps have managed to make a hole through the ceiling!!! You just hear them buzzing and like some scratching and gnawing of wood.

Two wasps are already in, and I've put some silicon on the hole (which will hopefully slow them down)

Here are some more pictures:

wasp1.png

wasp2.png

wasp3.png

Is anyone else sure that they are wasps? Thanks

Last edited:
@Margaret I'll try the toast & jam experiment! Thanks for the advice!

They'll love it.

Thanks for all the help so far

Last edited:
@Margaret I called the neighbour over, and he thinks that they are wasps. However, strangely enough, they have not touched the jam!

Are there any other techniques for identifying if they are wasps or bees? Thank you

Your shadow pictures look like wasps, not honey bees. The legs are too spindly and the waist looks waspy.
Cazza

100% wasps my friend.....

Thanks to all for the great replies! They have been really useful.
So they are wasps.

Does anyone recommend a certain pesticide with a nozzle as it seems that they have made a giant "wasp haven" on top of the ceiling of the bow window as we can hear them all over the bow window.

Bendiocarb with sort them, however without the knowledge, they will sort you first.....

for the price of a few pints and a kebab, get a pro out.:calmdown:

Back