Bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smith.james0

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am trying to find a bee suit for my 19 month old daughter for next year. She likes to watch the bees and asks to have a look in the "top" (see if any bees are under the roof on the crown board), the problem is my wife has palpitations:rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a site?

James

Modern Beek'ing offer three child sizes.
But the smallest is for ages 5 to 6 ...

I suppose you could "take it in" a bit (or a lot).

Some might think that under 2 was maybe just a bit young...

Realistically, I think a polycarbonate crownboard might be a sensible (or perhaps just not entirely bonkers) starting point.

I suppose you could "take it in" a bit (or a lot).

Some might think that under 2 was maybe just a bit young...

Realistically, I think a polycarbonate crownboard might be a sensible (or perhaps just not entirely bonkers) starting point.

I agree with Itma about the crownboard but if you still want a suit GOOGLE the BB clothing bee place a call.

A suit for one so small will not be easy to get. Swienty have some XXS size on offer at the moment -look under 'closeout and special offers' at the bottom of their index. They are their old model reduced to 25 euros. Your daughter will grow into it! Otherwise, you can have one made - try BB wear.

What about making a tent out of veil material?

You could by a dickies children's boiler suit. Sew up the open slots/pockets and buy a child size veil to put over the top. A friend of ours has done that for her niece.

C:cool:

what's wrong with having a suit too large? the child will grow into it ;)

Does your wife have a suit too? That way she can be involved closer and may be less stressed about (presumably) the child being so close to the hive.

I put a 3 year old into a adult jacket and veil, liberal use of duck tape made it bee tight. His initial enthusiasm lasted for only a couple of hives. Not sure I would want to invest in a beesuit for such a youngster.

Is it not a bit risky having such a young child so close to the hives? i dont speak with authority or even knowledge (and I'm sure more experienced beeks will be able to give more informed advice) but couldnt a young child have a more serious reaction to any sting?

Also, I DO have lots of experience with young children (2 of my own and 16 nephews/neices) and young children are a bit of a handful and tend to grab at things. I dont think you are really in a position to be supervising the child while doing an inspection. You could really do with your wife being involved as well tbh.

Swienty have some XXS size on offer at the moment -look under 'closeout and special offers' at the bottom of their index. They are their old model reduced to 25 euros.

Good price but once you add 27 euros for shipping :eek:

What about making a tent out of veil material?

An idea!

Does your wife have a suit too?

She uses my spare suit, I think she's once watched on inspection.

Is it not a bit risky having such a young child so close to the hives?

Also, I DO have lots of experience with young children (2 of my own and 16 nephews/neices) and young children are a bit of a handful and tend to grab at things. I dont think you are really in a position to be supervising the child while doing an inspection. You could really do with your wife being involved as well tbh.

She likes to watch them coming and going, she stands to the side of the hive, but the odd bee tends to land on her so it's really to stop that. I would never have her with me when I do an inspection.

James

James give BB Wear a call and check out how much it would be for them to make one. Have it made a bit on the large side as to last a couple of years. Has to be worth it. Free gloves thrown in as well.

Both of my kids have suits with the youngest being four and they came from modern beekeeping. It is a bit of a get up getting everyone suited as well as lighting the smoker, sorting the tool box and remembering my glasses but it does give the kids an insight of what I'm doing. The eldest was 7 and came home and said they had a lesson on bees at school and the teacher was all wrong.

hope you offered to go in and do a session for them.

A suit for one so small will not be easy to get. Swienty have some XXS size on offer at the moment -look under 'closeout and special offers' at the bottom of their index. They are their old model reduced to 25 euros. Your daughter will grow into it! Otherwise, you can have one made - try BB wear.

Good price but once you add 27 euros for shipping :eek:

Both of my kids have suits with the youngest being four and they came from modern beekeeping. ...

The missing linkage is that Modern Beek'ing are selling Swienty suits.

I have also noted that T's sell a child's hat&veil (for use with overalls or whatever).

hope you offered to go in and do a session for them.

We're trying to move them because the head just is'nt interested - I have at another school after I did a wasps nest there

"but couldnt a young child have a more serious reaction to any sting?"

NO. apart from the crying!

if it were me - how about one of the £5 occasional jackets/veils that several suppliers have.

She uses my spare suit, I think she's once watched on inspection.

She likes to watch them coming and going, she stands to the side of the hive, but the odd bee tends to land on her so it's really to stop that. I would never have her with me when I do an inspection.

James

Get the wife suited up too so she can be in charge of the child whilst you open the top up. That way there's a pair of hands for the bees and one for quickly removing the child from the area if you need to.

I would never have her with me when I do an inspection.

James

Sorry James, please dont think i was inferring that you would put her at risk in any way, I was simply trying to say (badly obviously) that it may help if you got your wife involved if she were willing.

Latest posts

Back