Bee space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flotess

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Forgive me... for I am novice...

Should there be a gap between the top of a BB frame and the bottom of a super frame??

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, there should be a gap.

Standard National boxes (deep and shallow) should have the top of the frames absolutely level with the top of the box.
They should also have an 8mm vertical gap between the level of the bottom of the box and the bottom of the frames.
That is called "bottom bee space".

Some believe it is better to depart from the standard and build the boxes with the gap above the frames instead - called top beespace. (Different discussion as to why, etc)

However the important thing is not to mix top and bottom beespace boxes in the same hive. Or, if you'll accept my suggestion, don't allow different spec, but externally identical boxes in the same apiary

Last edited:
Yes, there should be a gap.
However the important thing is not to mix top and bottom beespace boxes in the same hive. Or, if you'll accept my suggestion, don't allow different spec, but externally identical boxes in the same apiary

To clarify - mixed bee space boxes will mean double bee spaces and no bee space depending on circs. Important to stick to one type. I use 11 space castellations too as that ensures proper spacing of frames in standard national boxes. Hoffmans or plastic converters less satisfactory imho.

To clarify - mixed bee space boxes will mean double bee spaces and no bee space depending on circs. Important to stick to one type. I use 11 space castellations too as that ensures proper spacing of frames in standard national boxes. Hoffmans or plastic converters less satisfactory imho.

I found castellated spacing to be the worst option as each frame has to be lifted vertically from it's set place, not easy when the bees have used thier super glue. I use 11 DN1's with a dummy board is much easier as you can remove dummy board and ease the 1st frame into the gap before lifting (only if you have a good eye for detail) Hof's are best, quickest and safest for the bees:)

Forgive me... for I am novice...

Should there be a gap between the top of a BB frame and the bottom of a super frame??

Cheers,

Mark

In short there should be a bee space between the lower component and the upper component in all cases excepting the floor and the lowest frame usually the brood box where this maybe as much as three bee spaces or more. This space should also exist between frames excepting that it is doubled up so as to allow 2 bees to work back to back within frames whilst at the outer frames with the judicous use of a dummy board only one bee space is needed between the frame and the outermost component (the side wall or the dummy board.)

as per previous posts - bob smith gave wonderful talk/demonstration at Harper Adams this year.

Use wide top bars, proper hoffman side bars and wide (manley type) bottom bars. Frames then fit together with correct beespace all round.

Thanks friendlies!! I think I have a duff BB. The frames are flush with the top and bttm resulting in an issue when I try to put a super under it.
Off to the shop...

:)

Could add a strip of timber to bb sides to give a bee space required ,top or bottom space what ever you want .

Thanks friendlies!! I think I have a duff BB. The frames are flush with the top and bttm resulting in an issue when I try to put a super under it.
Off to the shop...

:)
The box or the frame is wrong, or both are.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856 has the basic dimensions in the original inches.

A 'British Standard National Deep" brood box should be 8 7/8" high, the frame should be 8 1/2". The top of the frame aligns with the top of the box leaving a 3/8" gap at the bottom (bottom space) or the frame bottom aligns with the box bottom leaving the 3/8" gap at the top (top space).

Metric 225mm box and 216mm frame to the nearest mm.

The box or the frame is wrong, or both are.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856 has the basic dimensions in the original inches.

A 'British Standard National Deep" brood box should be 8 7/8" high, the frame should be 8 1/2". The top of the frame aligns with the top of the box leaving a 3/8" gap at the bottom (bottom space) or the frame bottom aligns with the box bottom leaving the 3/8" gap at the top (top space).

Metric 225mm box and 216mm frame to the nearest mm.

And you couldn't say it clearer than that! Well done alnot worthy

A 'British Standard National Deep" brood box should be 8 7/8" high, the frame should be 8 1/2". The top of the frame aligns with the top of the box leaving a 3/8" gap at the bottom (bottom space) or the frame bottom aligns with the box bottom leaving the 3/8" gap at the top

3/8" isn't a bee space, 5/16" is closer :)

A single bee space is 6mm or 1/4 inch, bigger than this bees build brace/wild comb and smaller than this they glue it up

A single bee space is 6mm or 1/4 inch, bigger than this bees build brace/wild comb and smaller than this they glue it up

6mm isn't 1/4 inch and 1/4 inch isn't 6mm!

I have had excess propolis buildup on crownboards with 6mm clearance. Boards with 8mm clearance are usually ok with just a thin film of propolis and are sometimes but not always wax free.

7mm might be the optimum dimension but it possibly depends on the size of your bees, there can be a wide variation even within the same apiary.

Latest posts

Back