Bee keeper and hives required- East Midlands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer T

New Bee
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I’m keen to get some new hives on my farm near Stamford, south Lincolnshire.

I’m opening a nature trail (as a part of a new vineyard) and I would love to host some hives. I have a 30m x 50m area I can cordon off. There will be over 1000m
of nectar flower mix in the field among other features.

If anyone is interested to visit/ chat please get in touch.

Also, if what kind of questions should I be asking to potential beekeepers to make sure I pick the right person?!

Thanks, Tim

Q 1. How long have you been a beekeeper.
Q2. Have the colonys been checked by a sbi for diseases.
Q3. Are they registered with the bf or whatever make sure they have insurance.
Q4. as its a nature trail you want the bees to be gentle. So ask about the bees and there temper.
Q5. Make an agreement about honey.
Are you having hives there so you can have a jar or two of honey to sell or do you want to just give the site to the beek for free.. We give all of our site owners honey as a gesture of good will some sites I've given up because the site owners want to get involved to much and we just don't have the time to mentor more folk.
Q6 make sure you get on with them maybe even seek a local beekeeper with credentials.

I hope these questions help tim
Regards
Mark.

Pleased to hear of your plan, Tim.

I agree with Mark's comments and add that a vehicle route to the apiary would be joint number one on my list, alongside security: prevention of public access to the apiary (by day or night) is pretty much essential.

A buffer zone would be needed to separate public from bees - trees or mixed native hedging, for example - but the beekeeper would (I hope) carry out a Risk Assessment and advise.

Your local association is Stamford & Bourne BKA, which may welcome the opportunity for a member to park a couple of hives, but what's your aim? Do you only want a few jars a year for the breakfast table, or do you see honey as an additional customer offering?

If the latter, choose carefully: have a chat with Alex Ellis at the BFA, or ring beefarmers Neil or Ollie Pont for advice at Pont's Honey, 50 miles North of you in Stamford.

Local British honey has been undervalued for years but that's changing: main drivers are Brexit, C19, the carbon footprint of extended food miles, and the recent exposure of the dilution with sugar of some imported supermarket honey. You'll be sitting on gold, not brass.

Two options spring to mind: the beekeeper provides bees & management and sells you the honey, or the farmer buys the bees & kit, pays for management and keeps the honey. A twist on those is up to you, but make sure to have a simple agreement in writing and an exit clause for both parties.

Last edited:
Surely the main point is bravo to Tim for such a generous offer. I would be happy to up sticks for a purpose built apiary site next to a wild flower meadow, but fear resistance from family members.

Good vehicle access is number one priority with security a close second.

But good luck, Tim, I hope all goes well.

Surely the main point is bravo to Tim for such a generous offer. I would be happy to up sticks for a purpose built apiary site next to a wild flower meadow, but fear resistance from family members.

Good vehicle access is number one priority with security a close second.

But good luck, Tim, I hope all goes well.

Not only bravo but how sensible of Tim to ask those questions, before he embarks on the venture, on a forum where he will get a several answers or at least several variations on a theme. If his vineyard will have a shop or visitors' centre, how great it would be to sell his own honey - Farmer T's Local Honey!

CVB

Thank you for your replies- they've really helped. I've got a couple of meetings lined up and will use your questions.

As a side note, I love this forum. So much positivity and support. The farming forums aren't quite as friendly!

All the best, Tim.

I’m in Deeping and could probably put you in contact with more local beekeeper from Stamford where are you

I agree with Mark's comments and add that a vehicle route to the apiary would be joint number one on my list, alongside security: prevention of public access to the apiary (by day or night) is pretty much essential.

A buffer zone would be needed to separate public from bees - trees or mixed native hedging, for example - but the beekeeper would (I hope) carry out a Risk Assessment and advise.

Your local association is Stamford & Bourne BKA, which may welcome the opportunity for a member to park a couple of hives, but what's your aim? Do you only want a few jars a year for the breakfast table, or do you see honey as an additional customer offering?

If the latter, choose carefully: have a chat with Alex Ellis at the BFA, or ring beefarmers Neil or Ollie Pont for advice at Pont's Honey, 50 miles North of you in Stamford.

Local British honey has been undervalued for years but that's changing: main drivers are Brexit, C19, the carbon footprint of extended food miles, and the recent exposure of the dilution with sugar of some imported supermarket honey. You'll be sitting on gold, not brass.

Two options spring to mind: the beekeeper provides bees & management and sells you the honey, or the farmer buys the bees & kit, pays for management and keeps the honey. A twist on those is up to you, but make sure to have a simple agreement in writing and an exit clause for both parties.

Some farmers will let you put hives on there land as it help pollen ate there crops

some farmers will let you put hives on there land as it benifits them with pollinating there crops.

Some farmers will let you put hives on there land as long as they are sercure as it benifits them as there crops get pollinated there are a lot of flower growers in Spalding and pinchbeck as well worth getting in contact with some of them if your near there.

Some farmers will let you put hives on there land as it help pollen ate there crops

some farmers will let you put hives on there land as it benifits them with pollinating there crops.
I would think most think this most of my sites are on farmers land who don't grow crops.
I can also say that farmers have been in contact with beehives at one time or another.
I have hives going to osr no payment I'm just having the honey and then splitting the hives so to me that's my payment..
Waffle waffle :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I’m keen to get some new hives on my farm near Stamford, south Lincolnshire.

I’m opening a nature trail (as a part of a new vineyard) and I would love to host some hives. I have a 30m x 50m area I can cordon off. There will be over 1000m
of nectar flower mix in the field among other features.

If anyone is interested to visit/ chat please get in touch.

Also, if what kind of questions should I be asking to potential beekeepers to make sure I pick the right person?!

Thanks, Tim

The beekeeper will need time to manage the colonies on a weekly basis during the beekeeping season (Mar-Oct). This can cause quite a disturbance among the bees. You may want this to be done at a time when there aren't many/any people around so nobody gets stung.
The bees will forage far beyond your land so the beekeeper will want to know what the forage is like throughout the active season. Hedgerows are good but so are blackberries, raspberries, beans, oil-seed rape, etc - any area of open flower that will provide nectar/pollen.
Ideally, the area should be sheltered from any strong winds and free from flooding.

Consider learning to keep bees yourself.

Farmers are also encouraged to ‘house’ bee colonies - they get extra subsidy payments on the scheme.

Farmers are also encouraged to ‘house’ bee colonies - they get extra subsidy payments on the scheme.
Not exactly (unless it's changed again) what they get is, if you have hives on your land and you apply for a higher stewardship level status, you get 'points' which moves you up the list for consideration.

Latest posts

Back