Bee Jacket recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you. I was helping out a fellow, beginner beekeeper recently who had a suit with a similar looking velcro closure to yours. Suddenly he cried out about bees in his hood. The Velcro bit did not seal where the Zips met and I assume that is how the bees got in. His wife said she could do a simple modification.
The good operation of the zip closing area is such an important consideration in a suit.

By way of update...used the jacket for the 1st time this evening when inspecting my mentor’s ‘more boisterous’ hive.....comfortable and easy to work in (and the 1st time using marigolds instead of leather gloves) and more importantly no stings (unlike the 5 my mentor received in his BJ Sherriff jacket) before we decided upon a hasty retreat.... so...so far, so good :)

Another happy, Old Castle Farm suit user here. Over the last two years I've had it, it keeps the stings away, is well-ventilated, and washes well. As for gloves, nitriles over marigolds works for me and is a good combination of protection and hygiene. If they get really arsey, I'll put a pair of rubber gauntlets over the top, which retain some feel (not much) and through which they cannot sting.

Latest posts

Back