"Bee Improvement for All" Days

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I was going to post about the event on Saturday 21st February at Elham Village Hall organised by Dover & District BKA and BIBBA.
Not many tickets left (or time to book) - really!
Should be a good £15 worth.

However, the details (inc contact info) are actually posted on the Dave Cushman site (yes...) ... AND (scroll right down) there are some other similar events happening in other parts of the country - with all the details on that same page.

So, its a general 'heads-up' that there are other upcoming events as well as the East Kent one!

See => http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/beeimprovementforallday.html

Ours is 28th February, £10 a head including lunch. Sold out few weeks ago.

That would be the West Norfolk one?

Dover's is £15 (yes, lunch inc), but was discounted to early-booking Dover members, and it was close to sold out (but not quite I believe).

That would be the West Norfolk one ).

Yes that's the one, we had it open to members at first as it was priced at a tenner, £15 for non members after a cut off date. Sold out by then but had 2 people from Epping on the waiting list and squeezed them in.

Excuse my ignorance here, but is the money charged for entry simply for the venue hire and incidental expenses, or is this going to pay the speaker a fee? (other than travelling expenses).
I only ask because I have been giving talks at travel rate only.....and may be seriously undercharging local BKA's.

Excuse my ignorance here, but is the money charged for entry simply for the venue hire and incidental expenses, or is this going to pay the speaker a fee? (other than travelling expenses).
I only ask because I have been giving talks at travel rate only.....and may be seriously undercharging local BKA's.

we pay about £30 to £40 plus travel expenss for a speaker (london) and have paid £75 for a LASI uni of Sussex or Rothamsted "name" Dont know if thats typical or whether they are ripping us off

Thanks for that. I think you are getting a very good deal. I have been given "stipends" of up to £250 at various conferences in the past (not bee related), nor asked for by myself. More concerned that others might be taking advantage.

In our case the fee pays for venue hire, lunch and refreshments, speaker expenses and a 'donation' to BIBBA. We run a raffle on the day and will break even or make £100 approx. break even was the aim.

I take the view that organisations that ask people to speak normally have a suitable budget for such, and so not charging a moderate fee is not only robbing oneself and ones family of a little income, but also queering the pitch for others.

I take the view that organisations that ask people to speak normally have a suitable budget for such, and so not charging a moderate fee is not only robbing oneself and ones family of a little income, but also queering the pitch for others.

Yes.

The WI book up speakers years in advance and ask what your fee is or do you want it donated to charity and if so which one.

So if you think you are unworthy of a fee, just donate it to charity ...I do.

Latest posts

Back