Bee Houses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret Elisabeth

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone read the the article on Bee Houses in The BBKA News.
Anyone have a Bee House.
What thoughts do others have, I have been thinking of making some sort of shelter. I looked at making a CDB, type, cover for the winter for my two hives but precision joinery seems to be, not my forte.

Really interesting - for those that have bee houses could they post photos of them please. I read recently bees do much better in beehouses.

Really interesting - for those that have bee houses could they post photos of them please. I read recently bees do much better in beehouses.

Makes sense really keeps the hive dry and virtually no wind cooling effect. I watched some skep beekeeping videos when I first thought about being a beekeeper. The skeps were housed in an open fronted shed. It was a commercial honey business in Germany. Positioning was important. I won't be making anything on the scale of the stuff in the BBKA News but I thought a shelter to keep off the worst of the weather Like the old bee boles did would be good. I am sure there must be some stuff on the interweb that you could look at.
I just found the full article at http://www.honeyshop.co.uk/articles.html Just copy the address into a new search bar. Oh no need to copy it automatically connected, the wonder of modern science hehe.

Last edited:
I read recently bees do much better in beehouses.

That kinda reinforces the use of insulation with free-standing hives, doesn't it!

Do people use polyhives in beehouses might be a good question?

Plain shelter, with wall ( removable) protecting from north. Taken with mobile phone not some great photos, just to see.. If you want to have maximum of space, just stuck one AŽ hive on another - doubles the hive number under same roof.

Ploy hives might fair much better in bee houses, they would not need to be painted.
I was thinking of the insulation properties of the CDB hives when I considered making the CDB type cover.
Obviously temperature has a big effect on bee behaviour.

We used to have lot of snow, but due to climate changes weather is gone berserk. You never know what will be - sunny in january to walk in t shirts or snow storms.. These days temps are bellow 10C, might be some snow soon. Winds are no problem or maybe we don't have such strong winds as you have..

Has there been anything in BeeCraft recently? I don't get it, but did see a very nice bee house this season and was told there was going to be something in BeeCraft on it. Half a dozen hives, half a dozen nucs, great roof design for easy bee exit and lots of light.

Latest posts

Back