Bearding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No
What’s the history of the hive?
Is there a queen under there?
This a captured swarm from last year. I last inspected on Thursday but it was so cold I couldn’t go into them properly. Had a quick peek under the BB and couldnt see any queen cells. Super was about third full. I was planning on adding another super at next visit. This apiary is 1.5 hrs from my home so photo was taken by my dad this afternoon.

Certainly not bearding. I am with half a bee. A queen is there somewhere!

Is your queen clipped? Fallen to the floor and managed to crawl to the bottom of the box.
Have they swarmed already and this is the new queen missed the entrance after a mating flight?

Is your queen clipped? Fallen to the floor and managed to crawl to the bottom of the box.
Have they swarmed already and this is the new queen missed the entrance after a mating flight?
No the queen isn’t clipped. I don’t believe they have already swarmed. As you say the queen may have crawled to the bottom of the box

You say they haven’t swarmed but you didn’t look through the frames. When did you look through prior to that? Well one things for sure you need to look now.

You say they haven’t swarmed but you didn’t look through the frames. When did you look through prior to that? Well one things for sure you need to look now.
Checked them a couple weeks prior.

Will keep you posted - thanks
The bees on the outside of the hive look like they have all gone back into the hive. New queen from a supercedure cell back from a mating flight and undershot?

Odd. Two distinct clumps of bees, one under the landing box and one under the top edge of the hand hold. Not typical of bearding nor of an errant queen. My money was on bear ding though

Odd. Two distinct clumps of bees, one under the landing box and one under the top edge of the hand hold. Not typical of bearding nor of an errant queen. My money was on bear ding though
it was very warm in the apiary yesterday. Warmest day for a while!

I arrived to find something similar on the front of one of my hives a couple of weeks ago. Fortunate timing! I know for sure it was an emerging prime swarm. Queen not clipped, and she arrived in a swarm last year, so she could fly then alright. All bundled into a new hive, queen seen, and queen cells had been drawn in the first hive.

Checked them a couple weeks prior.

Couple weeks is too much to check. No meaning with such checking. I believe that you have out there swarming time.

But why the beard is in two groups?

Last edited:
Couple weeks is too much to check. No meaning with such checking. I believe that you have out there swarming time.

But why the beard is in two groups?
yes the weather has been against me. I did a quick inspection on Thursday but it was 9 degrees! Not sure what is going on with the two groups. I am suspecting a failed swarm

Latest posts

Back