BDI Scheme B

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would any of the bee farmer policies be better suited to cover all association apiaries and include the premium in apiary site rent

There is no such thing as a bee farmer disease insurance policy. That's probably because everyone understands it's better to bear the occasional small loss than to pay an annual premium.

There is no such thing as a bee farmer disease insurance policy. That's probably because everyone understands it's better to bear the occasional small loss than to pay an annual premium.
Fair enough, if no commercial insurer offers such cover, there's not a lot of demand for it. On the other hand there are always the worriers who will insist that because they want their hives covered, everyone else has to subscribe to a policy that is at best uneconomic. It's always open to associations to establish a compensation fund for their apiaries. It could cover vandalism, theft, falling trees, flood or any number of other losses in addition to disease.

As a general query - does any association opt out of BDI?

"does any association opt out of BDI?"
----------------------------------------------------------
Yorkshire BKA is the largest county association in UK and only a few of its 22 district associations are members of BDI, the rest rejected applying for it or have dropped out of it. Value for money is very important to Tykes.

A minimum BDI for 3 colonies is a mandatory requirement for active beekeepers joining my local BBKA association. Doubtless this is a BBKA requirement that is filtered down.

I declare 3 colonies and run a lot more. I am under no illusions and wish to have no truck with BDI.

The military and police don't insure their vehicles, but fix their own and handle claims from members of the public as appropriate (check their tyres and headlights for latent defects).

My feeling about association apiaries is that all colonies within that apiary should become tecnically owned by the association whilst they are there and covered accordingly. If the actual owner of the hives is shown not to have proper cover, then the BDI claim will be made, and retained, by the association. So if the hive owner would otherwise put the association BDI at risk, then the association is covered, but for their trouble, the unfortunate hive owner can lump it. It only needs a modification to the constitution to make it all above board and a clear policy.

What proportion of the amassed BDI fund has ever been donated to research, by the way, and is there a loose breakdown by years?

Latest posts

Back